Maximum principle for the Heat Eqn in R^n

In summary, the function v(x,t) is necessary in order to prove the maximum principle for the heat equation in \mathbb{R}^n and starting with the cylindrical domain allows us to easily approximate u(x,t) and prove the maximum principle.
loesung
Hi! I am trying to understand the MP for the heat eqn. in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] (see attached jpegs below). I don't understand why we are working with the function
[tex] v(x,t):=u(x,t)-\frac{\mu}{(T+\epsilon-t)^{n/2}}e^{\frac{|x-y|^2}{4(T+\epsilon-t)}}[/tex]
Why not just work with u(x,t)? I understand that, eventually we want [tex]\epsilon\to 0[/tex] and get [tex]u[/tex] back, but I guess I really don't understand the proof (as I can't convince myself that v(x,t) is necessary)!

My second issue is in Part (1) of the proof, we are working in the cylindrical domain [tex]U_T=B^0(y,r)\times(0,T]
[/tex].
In Part (2), though, we somehow jump from this domain to [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]. Why do we need to start with the cylindrical domain in order to show the MP for [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]?

Thanks for your time. I look forward to any helpful replies!

los

Attachments

• ev57.jpg
    ev57.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 433
  • ev58.jpg
    ev58.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The idea behind the function v(x,t) is to help us prove that u(x,t) satisfies the maximum principle in \mathbb{R}^n. In particular, we want to show that if u(x,t) is a solution of the heat equation in \mathbb{R}^n, then it must be bounded by its initial and boundary values. To do this, we need to approximate u(x,t) with a function that is bounded. The function v(x,t) does this by adding a term that "smoothes out" the behavior of u(x,t). As \epsilon\to 0, the term becomes zero and we recover u(x,t). As for why we start with the cylindrical domain U_T=B^0(y,r)\times(0,T], the reason is that this domain allows us to easily approximate u(x,t) with v(x,t). By starting with this domain, we can use the maximum principle on v(x,t), which is easier to prove than the maximum principle on u(x,t). Then, we can use the maximum principle on v(x,t) to show that u(x,t) must also be bounded by its initial and boundary values. This provides us with the maximum principle on u(x,t) in \mathbb{R}^n.

1. What is the maximum principle for the Heat Equation in R^n?

The maximum principle for the Heat Equation in R^n states that the maximum value of a solution to the Heat Equation in a bounded domain must occur on the boundary of the domain or at an initial time, and the minimum value must occur at the initial time.

2. How is the maximum principle derived for the Heat Equation in R^n?

The maximum principle for the Heat Equation in R^n is derived from the fact that the Heat Equation is a parabolic partial differential equation, which is characterized by the fact that information propagates along time, but not along space. This leads to the conclusion that the maximum and minimum values of a solution must occur at the boundary or initial time.

3. What is the importance of the maximum principle for the Heat Equation in R^n?

The maximum principle for the Heat Equation in R^n is important because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing the behavior of solutions to the Heat Equation. It allows for the determination of important properties such as stability, uniqueness, and regularity of solutions.

4. Are there any limitations to the maximum principle for the Heat Equation in R^n?

Yes, the maximum principle for the Heat Equation in R^n is limited to bounded domains and homogeneous boundary conditions. Additionally, it does not apply to solutions that have infinite energy or are discontinuous at the boundary.

5. How is the maximum principle used in practical applications?

The maximum principle for the Heat Equation in R^n has a wide range of practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to analyze heat transfer, diffusion processes, and the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in the pricing and risk management of financial derivatives.