Gamma radiation sorce sheilding

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a gamma radiation source (226Ra) in a hospital laboratory and the need for shielding to reduce radiation exposure for workers. The first part of the conversation focuses on the thickness of shielding needed, with options of concrete, lead, or steel as materials. The second part considers an alternative solution of extending the distance between the radiation source and the worker. Lambert's law and the inverse square law are suggested as potential equations for solving the problem.
taylor.simon

Homework Statement

a gamma raidiation source (226Ra) is used in hospital laboratory. if shielding is considered as a means of control how many centimeters are needed to reduce the radiation to 1% of what a worker would be exposed to without shielding? assume the shield material is a) concrete B)lead C) steel note the half thicknesses are 0.12m, 0.014m ,0.018m respectively

part 2
as an alternative to shielding of the radiation source in the above question is to extend the distance between the radiation and the worker if the initial design placed the worker at 1m and then the design was review and place the source 10m what percentage reduction in radiation exposure would there for the second position relative to the first

Homework Equations

part 1 n=-2/log1/2
part 1 df/di = (ri/rf)^2 ri=1m rf=10m

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to do ether i asked the lecturer and he said there was a way without have to do logarithms for the first part but didn't explain how and i need to know how for my exams please and help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Part 1:
Please use Lambert's law.
[tex]
\frac{I_{\rm mat}}{I_0}=\exp[\frac{-\mu}{\rho}t_{\rm mat}\rho].
[/tex]
Where 'mat' represent the material used for shielding (concrete or lead or steel)
Imat is the amount that you get after shielding
I0 is just the source strength or amount without shielding
[tex]\rho[/tex] is density
tmat is thickness of the material
[tex]\mu[/tex] is linear attenuation coefficient.
Part 2:
I don't understand. But maybe you need to use inverse square law.
hope it helps.

1. What is gamma radiation source shielding?

Gamma radiation source shielding refers to the use of materials or structures to reduce the exposure to harmful gamma radiation emitted by a source. This is important for protecting humans and equipment from the damaging effects of gamma radiation.

2. Why is gamma radiation source shielding necessary?

Gamma radiation is a type of high-energy electromagnetic radiation that can penetrate through materials and cause damage to cells and DNA. Without proper shielding, exposure to gamma radiation can lead to serious health effects, including radiation sickness and increased risk of cancer.

3. What materials are commonly used for gamma radiation source shielding?

Lead, concrete, and steel are commonly used materials for gamma radiation source shielding. These materials are dense and have high atomic numbers, making them effective at absorbing gamma radiation. Other materials, such as boron, are also used for shielding specific types of gamma radiation sources.

4. How is the effectiveness of gamma radiation source shielding measured?

The effectiveness of gamma radiation source shielding is measured in terms of the thickness of the material needed to reduce the radiation dose by a certain percentage, typically 50%. This is known as the half-value layer (HVL) and is used to compare the shielding properties of different materials.

5. What are the factors to consider when designing gamma radiation source shielding?

When designing gamma radiation source shielding, factors such as the type of radiation source, the energy and intensity of the radiation, the distance from the source, and the duration of exposure must be taken into account. The choice of shielding material and its thickness should also be carefully considered to ensure adequate protection.