It's all about the economy now

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economy
In summary: I like to blame Bush for the gas prices, I don't really think he is at fault for that. When prices of everything else was going up, gas prices were not rising as quickly. I think we were just shocked when the caught up all at once.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The war over the war is over. It's the economy stupid!

Physics news on Phys.org
Uhh...

Did we win the war?

Doesn't matter. Watch gas prices. Bush's rating has an inverse relationship with them.

Added: Note that the gas price curve is upside-down.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
Doesn't matter. Watch gas prices. Bush's rating has an inverse relationship with them.

Added: Note that the gas price curve is upside-down.

Obviously Bush's campaign managers are aware of this. New Bush ad I saw today is trying to blame Kerry for gas prices (saying he'll raise the tax on gas, as if the tax is the primary problem...sorry, but the tax is nowhere near 100%, which is pretty close to how much more I'm paying per gallon now than before Bush took office). Since they can't win with Iraq anymore, the ads have suddenly taken a bizarre turn this week...clearly grasping at straws now.

wasteofo2 said:
Uhh...

Did we win the war?

Apparently the analysis of the debates and recent events show that the undecided votes will be determined primarily by economic issues.

btw, John Edwards is on Meet The Press this AM.

Moonbear said:
Since they can't win with Iraq anymore, the ads have suddenly taken a bizarre turn this week...clearly grasping at straws now.
Yeah, they're really going kinda nuts lately. A week ago I saw an ad that essentially said "Vote Bush, he's got a plan to fix this economy and turn this war around."

And just a few days ago I saw Bush's Kerry's cheif campaign advisors in a town-hall meeting, answering questions for their candidates, and someone asked about the loss of jobs under Bush, and the Bush guy responded with "You have to remember, when George Bush came into office, he was handed the worst economy since the Great Depression".

Last edited:
I don't know about other states but total Maine tax on gasoline (including federal) hovers around a buck. I would think significantly impacts the price of gasoline both before and after the recent rise in prices. What I'm more interested in is what Kerry would be able to do to lower prices if he were elected president. Can anyone answer that with anything tangible?

Gas is a finite resource, Americans better get used to paying more for gas because the only way prices are going is up.

Ivan Seeking said:
Apparently the analysis of the debates and recent events show that the undecided votes will be determined primarily by economic issues.

Edwards is on ALL the talk shows today! Clones?

Ivan Seeking said:

Wow, if the people doing the analysis would have just been listening to me for the last month... :rolleyes:

Quite honestly, while I like to blame Bush for the gas prices, I don't really think he is at fault for that. When prices of everything else was going up, gas prices were not rising as quickly. I think we were just shocked when the caught up all at once. Much of the taxes on gas are state taxes, which partially accounts for the variation in prices state to state. That's an issue to take up with the state legislatures. The only other tangible source of variation in gas pricing I'm aware of is all the specialized blends every state requests, so instead of just producing 3 grades of gasoline plus diesel, refineries are producing something different for every state. If your state is requesting something different from what everyone else in the country sells, then it's going to cost more. The way I look at it, if there is a grade of gasoline, an additive, etc., that really is better in terms of reducing vehicle emissions, then everyone should get that one. Just like when we phased out leaded gas, we could phase out all the types that lead to higher pollution. This should help to reduce prices somewhat because you're no longer forced to buy "boutique" gas that your state and your state only requests. The flip side to this argument is if none of these types of gas are any better than any of the others, so there's no compelling reason to choose one or two over all the rest. In that case, it may be more difficult for the Federal government to do anything, because then I think without a more compelling reason, it's overstepping into the territory of states' rights to mandate a single grade of gasoline without any justification of why it's better for the country as a whole to do that. Anyway, it's something I think the EPA should look into. Find out if any of these gasoline grades are any better for the environment as the various states are claiming. I don't think I've heard anything from Bush or Kerry to indicate either has given this much thought.

Ivan Seeking said:
As I (and phat) said before, Clinton was right. This should have always been about the economy. Not only because that's the most personally important issue for most Americans, but also because its the issue where Kerry can make the best case for himself/against Bush.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
Gas is a finite resource, Americans better get used to paying more for gas because the only way prices are going is up.
The truth hurts, but it doesn't win elections. As I said in my "You! fix the US energy crisis" thread, I'm in favor of gas taxes, with the caveat that we should be using them to fund our energy programs, (ie, build nuclear plants and research fusion).

My main gripe about Kerry is that he's got the green predjudice against nuclear power. But then the Bush administration has chucked nuclear enthusiasts under the chin but hasn't done a damn thing for them. The US has been a long time getting over its demonization of nookular.

1. What is meant by "It's all about the economy now"?

"It's all about the economy now" refers to the belief that the economy is the most important factor in shaping a country's success and well-being. It suggests that economic stability and growth should be the top priority for governments and individuals.

2. Why is the economy so important?

The economy plays a crucial role in our daily lives as it affects job opportunities, wages, prices of goods and services, and overall standard of living. A strong economy can lead to increased employment, higher incomes, and improved quality of life, while a weak economy can result in job losses, lower wages, and financial insecurity for individuals and businesses.

3. How does the economy impact different sectors?

The economy has a ripple effect on various sectors such as healthcare, education, and housing. For example, a strong economy can result in increased funding for public services like healthcare and education, while a weak economy can lead to budget cuts and reduced access to these services. The economy also affects consumer spending, which in turn impacts businesses and industries.

4. What factors contribute to a strong economy?

A strong economy is influenced by various factors such as employment rates, inflation, consumer spending, and government policies. Low unemployment rates, stable prices, and high consumer confidence are indicators of a strong economy. Additionally, government policies that promote economic growth, such as investments in infrastructure and education, can also contribute to a strong economy.

5. How can individuals and governments support the economy?

Individuals can support the economy by being responsible consumers and making informed financial decisions. This includes saving money, paying off debts, and investing in the stock market. Governments can support the economy by implementing policies that promote economic growth, such as tax cuts, incentives for businesses, and investments in infrastructure. Additionally, ensuring a stable and fair economic system can also contribute to a strong economy.