Annihilation of Electron by Positron to Produce at least 2 Gamma Rays

In summary, the conservation of energy and momentum in the annihilation of an electron by a positron requires at least two gamma rays to be emitted. Attempting to produce a single gamma ray would result in a contradiction between initial and final values of energy and momentum. Therefore, the presence of at least two gamma rays is necessary to fulfill the conservation laws. This can be demonstrated by considering the energy-momentum equations for the electron/positron and photon, which show that all three particles cannot be on the mass shell simultaneously.
tomnomnom

Homework Statement

The problem is listed as follows: Show that conservation of energy and momentum require at least two gamma rays to e emitted in the annihilation of an electron by a positron.

Homework Equations

p(initial) = p(final)
E(initial) = E(final)
Total rest mass = 1.0218 MeV/c^2
p=hf/c
E=hf

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm checking to see whether my answer to this question is sufficient. The book (Wong) introduces the idea of a proton and anti-proton annihilation at rest, so I assumed that this process could occur at rest as well. Is that ok?

I first tried the production of a single gamma ray. However, since initial p=0, final p=0 as well. However, since initial E=/=0, and initial E = final E, then final E =/=0. These two are in contradiction to each other, since p=hf/c and E=hf. Combining, this gives p=E/c. Since c=/= 0, this equation is impossible.

I then explained that if the rays were traveling in opposite directions, this would allow for final p=0, fulfilling initial p=final p.

Do you guys believe that this is a sufficient answer? It is based upon the presumption that such an interaction can occur at rest.

Let me know, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just came up with a new thought, I could create a situation such that the electron and positron are approaching each other in such a manner that initial p=0. This would allow the dismissal of the "at rest" presumption. Thoughts?

This is the simplest exercise in quantum field theory, showing that the vertex of QED can't have all 3 particles on the mass shell.

You only need the energy-momentum equation describing the mass shell.

[tex] p^2 = m^2 \, \mbox{for the electron/positron and} \, p^2=0 \, \mbox{for the photon} [/tex]

What is the process of annihilation of electron and positron to produce gamma rays?

The annihilation of an electron and a positron is a process in which the two particles collide and their energy is converted into photons, specifically gamma rays. This occurs when the particles come into close proximity, resulting in the mutual annihilation of their mass and the creation of two or more gamma rays.

What is the significance of the annihilation of electron and positron?

The annihilation of an electron and a positron is significant because it demonstrates the conversion of matter into energy. This process is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. It also allows for the production of high-energy photons, which have various applications in fields such as medical imaging and nuclear physics.

How many gamma rays are produced in the annihilation of an electron and positron?

The number of gamma rays produced in the annihilation of an electron and a positron can vary, but there will always be at least two photons created. This is due to the conservation of energy and momentum, which dictates that the total energy and momentum before and after the annihilation must be equal.

What is the energy of the gamma rays produced in the annihilation process?

The energy of the gamma rays produced in the annihilation process can vary, but it is typically in the range of 0.511 MeV (million electron volts) each. This specific energy is due to the fact that the electron and positron each have a mass of 0.511 MeV/c^2, and their total energy is converted into the energy of the photons.

Can the annihilation of an electron and positron occur in other particles?

Yes, the annihilation process can occur in any particles that have an antiparticle counterpart. For example, a proton and an antiproton can also undergo annihilation, producing gamma rays in the process. However, the energy and number of gamma rays produced may differ depending on the particles involved.