Maximal ideals of a quotien ring

• Thread starter R.P.F.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, The statement to be proven is: Let R be a ring, I be a ideal of R. Then N is a maximal in R/I if and only if N=M/I where M is a maximal ideal in R that contains I. The fourth isomorphism theorem states that there is a bijective correspondence between ideals of R that contain I and ideals of R/I. This can be used to prove the given statement. Additionally, it is important to note that x2 is not an irreducible polynomial in R[x], which means that R[x]/(x2) is not a field.
R.P.F.

Homework Statement

I am try to prove :
Let R be a ring, I be a ideal of R.
Then N is a maximal in R/I if and only if N=M/I where M is a maximal ideal in R that contains I.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I'm not 100% sure that the statement is true, but I'm trying to prove it.
So N is maximal in R/I, then R/I/N is a field which means I/N is maximal in R. This is as far as I get.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This statement is 100% correct. So don't worry about it.

Have you heard of the fourth isomorphism theorem (you probably didn't call it that). It states that there is a bijective correspondance between ideals of R that contain I and ideals of R/I.
In particular, if J is an ideal of R/I, then J=J'/I for some ideal J' of R.

This is the thing you have to use to prove this question. If you didn't see it, then perhaps you could try to prove it...

micromass said:
This statement is 100% correct. So don't worry about it.

Have you heard of the fourth isomorphism theorem (you probably didn't call it that). It states that there is a bijective correspondance between ideals of R that contain I and ideals of R/I.
In particular, if J is an ideal of R/I, then J=J'/I for some ideal J' of R.

This is the thing you have to use to prove this question. If you didn't see it, then perhaps you could try to prove it...

Yay I figured it out using your hint! Thanks a lot!

Well, x2 isn't an irreducible polynomial of R[x], since x2=x.x
Thus R[x]/(x2) is not a field.

1. What is a maximal ideal?

A maximal ideal is a proper ideal in a ring that is not contained in any other proper ideal. In other words, it is an ideal that cannot be extended any further without becoming the entire ring.

2. What is a quotient ring?

A quotient ring, also known as a factor ring, is a ring constructed by taking a ring and "quotienting out" an ideal. This means that the elements of the ideal are considered to be equivalent to 0 in the quotient ring.

3. How are maximal ideals related to quotient rings?

Maximal ideals play an important role in quotient rings because they are the largest possible ideals that can be quotiented out. In fact, a quotient ring is a field if and only if its only ideals are the zero ideal and the maximal ideal.

4. What is the significance of maximal ideals in abstract algebra?

Maximal ideals are significant in abstract algebra because they can be used to define important concepts such as prime ideals and irreducible elements. They also have applications in algebraic geometry and commutative algebra.

5. How do you determine if a given ideal is maximal in a quotient ring?

To determine if a given ideal is maximal in a quotient ring, you can use the third isomorphism theorem. This theorem states that if I is an ideal of a ring R and J is an ideal of R that contains I, then there exists a unique ideal K of R/I such that J = I + K and J/I is isomorphic to K. If the given ideal is not contained in any other ideal, then it is maximal.