About cosmological quantum rectangular barrier potential

In summary, the textbook on quantum mechanics does not deal with the case that the width of the rectangular barrier potential goes to the infiniteness. The physical result of this potential does not converge to the result of the step potential. This cosmological quantum rectangular barrier potential is not well known to be tested through an experiment.
Younghun park
Suppose that one electron from the end of the universe is emitted to the quantum rectangular barrier potential whose size amouts to galaxy size.

This belongs to step potential problem or rectangular barrier potential problem?

The textbook on Quantum mechanics doesn't deal with the case that the width of
rectangular barrier potential goes to the infiniteness.

I find out that the physical result of rectangular barrier potential doesn't not
converge to the result of step potential.

How do you think of this cosmological quantum rectangular barrier potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're mixing things up. (a) Schrödinger's equation for an electron running against a barrier that may or may not be infinite; (b) Cosmological assumptions. You can't deduce that, since your barrier is infinite in width, you're dealing with a cosmological problem. We deal with infinite barriers as a practical thing in condensed matter every day...

jrlaguna, Thank for your reply. this problem is about...

jrlaguna, Thank for your reply.
In fact, this problem is not about the cosmological problem.
This problem is about the quantum wave interference in the large system.
In condense matter theory, I know that that system is not large system.
So, it is good to apply quantum theory to condese matter.
But, it is not well known whether quantum theory can apply to the larger system or not.
Is it tested the case that the width of potential amouts to 1m or 1km?
I have not heard that such a experment is done.
Do you listen to that experment ?
Through such a experment, quantum theory on the larger system is tested in detail?
if it is done, Could you introduce to me?

thanks a lot

Your question, therefore, is whether there can be interference along large distances. Controlled experiments reach quite macroscopic distances, like hundreds of meters, through optical fibers, for example, and are routine already. But much more impressive in this sense are the Hanbury-Brown & Twiss type of experiments, in which the size of a star can be estimated by the quantum correlations between photons coming from different parts of it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanbury_Brown_and_Twiss_effect

Oh! No! No! The exact experiment on the rectangular barrier potential..

Oh! No! No!
The experiment I want to know is the experment about the rectangular barrier potential using one electron.
The potential in the exprement must be same as rectangular barrier potential in textbook on
quantum mechanics. It must be using electron.

Do you know such a experiment?

I think this problem is too difficult to answer.

I think this problem is very difficult.
This problem is on testing whether quantum theory is right, or Einstein's relativity is right.
I want to research for this and make the paper on this.

If one has the interest in this, contact me. mrhun@hanmail.net

1. What is a cosmological quantum rectangular barrier potential?

A cosmological quantum rectangular barrier potential is a type of energy barrier that can be found in the field of cosmology, specifically in the study of quantum mechanics. It is a theoretical concept that describes the behavior of particles as they encounter a potential energy barrier in the universe.

2. How does a cosmological quantum rectangular barrier potential work?

The barrier potential acts as an obstacle for particles to overcome, and their behavior is determined by the laws of quantum mechanics. This potential can allow some particles to pass through, while others may be reflected or transmitted, depending on their energy levels and the height and width of the barrier.

3. What is the significance of studying cosmological quantum rectangular barrier potentials?

Studying these potentials can provide insights into the behavior of particles in the early universe, as well as in extreme conditions such as black holes and supernovae. It can also help us understand the fundamental laws of quantum mechanics and the nature of the universe.

4. How do scientists study and measure cosmological quantum rectangular barrier potentials?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study these potentials, as they are not directly observable. They also conduct experiments in controlled environments using particles with specific energy levels to understand how they interact with the barrier.

5. Are there any practical applications of cosmological quantum rectangular barrier potentials?

While the study of these potentials is primarily theoretical, it has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and telecommunications. Understanding the behavior of particles in barrier potentials can also aid in the development of new technologies and materials.