Take a stroll on a brown dwarf

• Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brown dwarf
According to the article, NASA has discovered a new cold star that is an order of magnitude cooler than any previously recorded Y dwarfs. This star, WISE 1828+2650, has an estimated atmospheric temperature of less than 80 degrees Fahrenheit and was spotted by the WISE satellite. However, there is some contradiction in the article as it mentions that the previous coolest Y dwarfs would "instantly incinerate" a human explorer, but the new record holder is only "uncomfortably warm." The writer suggests that the reason for this discrepancy may be due to the use of different temperature scales. Ultimately, the article states that the gravity of these brown dwarfs would still be a problem for human exploration.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
from the article:

Prior to the discovery, the coolest Y dwarfs on record wouldn't instantly incinerate a human explorer, but that unlucky individual would be uncomfortably warm. The new cold star record holder put out just enough infrared light to be spotted by NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) satellite, and is an order of magnitude cooler than any before it. WISE also spotted roughly 100 other brown dwarfs — a handful of which are considerably closer than NASA had thought.

Now I don't know about you, but to me "an order of magnitude" is at least roughly a factor of 10. That makes two of the statements in the above paragraph serious contradict each other.

phinds said:
from the article:

Now I don't know about you, but to me "an order of magnitude" is at least roughly a factor of 10. That makes two of the statements in the above paragraph serious contradict each other.

Well the article cites an estimated surface temperature of 80 F, and an order of magnitude above that is 800 F which is if not instant incineration pretty close.

But in C that's only 23, which is much a smaller number so therefore an order of magnitude would be nigh-fatal but certainly not incineration. So maybe that is what the writer was thinking.

By no means should you ever land on a brown dwarf using kelvins, however.

;)

nonsense. The only possible way in which it makes any sense to "multiply" temperatures is to use absolute. Try the math on THAT for size.

phinds said:
nonsense. The only possible way in which it makes any sense to "multiply" temperatures is to use absolute. Try the math on THAT for size.

Oh but that doesn't sound like any fun at all.

I like the 23 -> 230 explanation much better. And I seriously bet you that's what the article author was doing.

fructivore said:
... I seriously bet you that's what the article author was doing.

Which was exactly my point. When someone is that ignorant of the fundamentals, why would I trust him to report on ANYTHING scientific?

Instant summer and winter lol

Eh, as long as you ignore the details which might be wrong, you can still get the message. Star is cool enough to be on.And the gravity would certainly be a problem, I vaguely remember reading it would be about one order of magnitude less than the sun, but don't quote me on that.

Why arguing over the news? Go directly to NASA source:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-263"

Of the 100 brown dwarfs, six are classified as cool Y's. One of the Y dwarfs, called WISE 1828+2650, is the record holder for the coldest brown dwarf, with an estimated atmospheric temperature cooler than room temperature, or less than about 80 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius).

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a brown dwarf?

A brown dwarf is a substellar object that is too small to sustain nuclear fusion in its core, making it unable to become a star. It is larger than a planet but smaller than a star.

What does it mean to take a stroll on a brown dwarf?

Due to their size and composition, it is not possible for humans to physically walk on a brown dwarf. However, scientists can study and observe them using specialized equipment such as telescopes and satellites.

Why is it important to study brown dwarfs?

Studying brown dwarfs can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of stars and planets. They also serve as a bridge between gas giant planets and small, cool stars, giving us a better understanding of the diversity of objects in the universe.

How do scientists identify and classify brown dwarfs?

Scientists use various methods to identify and classify brown dwarfs, including measuring their temperature, mass, and luminosity. They also look for specific spectral signatures in their light to determine their composition and age.

Can life exist on a brown dwarf?

It is highly unlikely that life can exist on a brown dwarf. Due to their low mass and lack of internal heat, they do not have the necessary conditions to support life as we know it. However, some moons orbiting brown dwarfs may have the potential for habitability.