Find the Current Through a Resistor with a Constant Current Source

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current through R3 in a circuit with three resistors in parallel using the equations V=IR, \SigmaV=0 (around a closed loop), and \SigmaI=0 (going into a junction). One approach is to find the equivalent resistance and then use it to find the voltage drop, but the algebra can be messy. Another approach is to think in terms of conductances (G=1/R) which simplifies the math for current division. The conversation also mentions the use of conductances in practical circuits and the option to substitute them back in for resistances if necessary.
drumercalzone

Homework Statement

Hey everyone. I might be overthinking this one, but I thought I'd post it. (sorry for the crappy MS Paint sketch!)

I need to find the current through R3

WbUcN.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]V=0 (around a closed loop)
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]I=0 (going into a junction)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well my original idea was to write out the value of an equivalent resistor for the 3 resistors in parallel, then use that to find the voltage drop (since it's the same across all 3). However since the values are all different, the algebra got messy pretty quickly, and I thought there would be a much simpler solution to the problem. I'm just a bit thrown off by the constant-current source instead of emf.

Thank you for any and all help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a classic current divider situation. It might be easier to think of it in terms of conductances rather than resistances (G = 1/R). Then the math for the current division looks much like that for a voltage divider.

Write G1, G2, and G3 for the conductances of resistors R1, R2, and R3. Then
[tex] I_i = I \frac{G_i}{G_1 + G_2 + G_3}[/tex]

Thanks for the quick reply! I see where you're getting at - makes the math much simpler, but we haven't covered conductance yet. Is there any other way around the problem, or do I just have to do some nasty algebra?

drumercalzone said:
Thanks for the quick reply! I see where you're getting at - makes the math much simpler, but we haven't covered conductance yet. Is there any other way around the problem, or do I just have to do some nasty algebra?

It is what it is... The algebra isn't all that nasty. I've seen much worse :smile:

Start by writing the equation for the equivalent resistance of all three resistors as you proposed. What is it?

gneill said:
This is a classic current divider situation. It might be easier to think of it in terms of conductances rather than resistances (G = 1/R). Then the math for the current division looks much like that for a voltage divider.

Write G1, G2, and G3 for the conductances of resistors R1, R2, and R3. Then
[tex] I_i = I \frac{G_i}{G_1 + G_2 + G_3}[/tex]

Well let's see:

[tex] \frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} + \frac{1}{R_3} [/tex]

Which I got to:

[tex] \frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{R_1R_2 + R_1R_3 + R_2R_3}{R_1R_2R_3} [/tex]

Which means:

[tex] R_{eq} = \frac{R_1R_2R_3}{R_1R_2 + R_1R_3 + R_2R_3} [/tex]

Then I'd plug that in [tex] V = IR_{eq} [/tex] and get:

[tex] V = \frac{IR_1R_2R_3}{R_1R_2 + R_1R_3 + R_2R_3} [/tex]

Then I would just plug that into [tex] I_3 = \frac{V}{R} [/tex] and get the answer?

Phew (that equation writing system is crazy!)

Last edited:
Yeah, that's about it.

Note that if you defined [itex] G_i = 1/R_i[/itex] at the outset, your pains would be lessened appreciably:
[tex] v = I \; R_{eq} = I \frac{1}{G_1 + G_2 + G_3} [/tex]
[tex] I_3 = \frac{v}{R_3} = v \frac{1}{R_3} = v \; G_3 = I \frac{G_3}{G_1 + G_2 + G_3}[/tex]

Thank you so much for your help! I'm definitely going to look into the Conductance thing there. It looks like a very valuable tool.

drumercalzone said:
Thank you so much for your help! I'm definitely going to look into the Conductance thing there. It looks like a very valuable tool.

You're quite welcome.

Conductances certainly simplify dealing with current dividers. If you must have the results in terms of resistances, you can always substitute them back in for the G's and simplify (sort of like postponing the pain to the end!). If it's a practical circuit you're working on, with actual component values, then you can just use numerical values for the G's and get on with things.

What is a constant current source?

A constant current source is a type of electrical circuit that maintains a constant flow of electrical current regardless of changes in the load or other external factors.

How do I calculate the current through a resistor with a constant current source?

To calculate the current through a resistor with a constant current source, you can use Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So the equation would be I = V/R.

Can the current through a resistor change with a constant current source?

No, the current through a resistor will not change with a constant current source as long as the voltage and resistance remain constant. The current will only change if there are changes in the voltage or resistance.

What is the purpose of using a constant current source?

The purpose of using a constant current source is to ensure a steady and consistent flow of electrical current in a circuit. This is important in applications where a constant current is necessary, such as in LED lighting or electronic devices.

Can a constant current source be used with any type of resistor?

Yes, a constant current source can be used with any type of resistor as long as the resistance value falls within the operating range of the constant current source. However, it is important to ensure that the power rating of the resistor is suitable for the amount of current flowing through it.