The angle that A makes with the positive x axis

In summary, the angle that A makes with the positive x axis refers to the measure of the angle formed between A and the positive x axis on a coordinate plane. It can be measured in degrees or radians and can range from 0 to 360 degrees or 0 to 2π radians. This angle is used to determine values of trigonometric functions and can change with the position or value of A.
Deading
A=2i-10k

give the angle that A makes with the positive x-axis ?

do i need to make x axis=i and i go A.B/AxB ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have short sides of a triangle, you want the inverse tangent, see:

http://math12.vln.dreamhosters.com/wiki/Modeling_Real_World_Situations_Using_Trigonometric_Functions#Tangent_of_Theta

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this 3-dimesional question?

tebes said:
Is this 3-dimesional question?
It is. But don't be put off, because it's actually an easy 3D question. :smile:

I would first clarify that A is a vector with components of 2i and -10k. Then, I would explain that to find the angle that A makes with the positive x-axis, we can use the dot product formula A·B = |A||B|cosθ, where A and B are two vectors and θ is the angle between them. In this case, we can take B to be the unit vector in the positive x-axis direction, which is simply i. So, A·i = |A||i|cosθ = 2cosθ. We can solve for θ by taking the inverse cosine of 2cosθ, which gives us the angle between A and the positive x-axis.

What is the definition of "the angle that A makes with the positive x axis"?

The angle that A makes with the positive x axis refers to the measure of the angle formed between the line segment representing A and the positive x axis on a coordinate plane.

How is the angle that A makes with the positive x axis measured?

The angle can be measured in degrees or radians, starting from the positive x axis and moving counterclockwise until reaching A. The measure of the angle is the length of the arc formed by the angle, divided by the radius of the circle.

What is the range of values for the angle that A makes with the positive x axis?

The range of values for the angle can vary from 0 to 360 degrees or 0 to 2π radians, depending on the chosen unit of measurement. The angle can also be negative if it is measured clockwise from the positive x axis.

How does the angle that A makes with the positive x axis relate to trigonometric functions?

The angle can be used to determine the values of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are ratios of the sides of a right triangle formed by the angle and the x-axis.

Can the angle that A makes with the positive x axis change?

Yes, the angle can change if the position of A or the orientation of the coordinate plane changes. It can also change if the value of A changes, as the angle is dependent on the position of A relative to the positive x axis.