Need help with Nodal Analysis. I have the work, just need a step explained.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of nodal analysis and the equation V=IR to solve a problem. It is suggested to replace Ix with V1/10K and solve for an expression for V1. This expression is then substituted into equation (1) and used to solve for V2. The final step is to use V=IR to complete the problem.
naivy

Homework Statement

4wzrz.png

Homework Equations

V=IR, Nodal Analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

1 and 2 in the diagram are the nodal equations. Considering that the left node is V1 and that the right node is V2. I don't know how to get from the nodal equations to step 3. I know that you go from step 3 to step 4 using V=IR.

I tried solving the nodal equations to get to step 3...

Can someone please work it out for me? Thank you

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
In (2) replace Ix with V1/10K. Solve for an expression for V1. Substitute this expression for V1 into (1). Solve for V2. All done.

gneill said:
In (2) replace Ix with V1/10K. Solve for an expression for V1. Substitute this expression for V1 into (1). Solve for V2. All done.

Ohh wow. Now I feel dumb(er, as many would argue here at pf)...

Thanks for the help gneill!

1. How do I choose the correct node for nodal analysis?

The first step in nodal analysis is to choose a reference node. This node should be one where the voltage is known or can be easily determined. The other nodes in the circuit will be analyzed with respect to this reference node.

2. What is the purpose of nodal analysis?

The purpose of nodal analysis is to calculate the voltage at each node in a circuit by using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law. This allows us to understand the behavior of the circuit and determine the values of different components in the circuit.

3. How do I write the nodal equations for a circuit?

To write the nodal equations, we first identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them. Then, we use KCL to write an equation for each node, setting the sum of currents entering the node equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. We also use Ohm's Law to relate the voltage and current at each node.

4. Can you give an example of nodal analysis?

Sure, let's say we have a circuit with three nodes labeled A, B, and C. The voltage at node A is known to be 5V. Using KCL, we can write the following equation for node B: (VB - VA)/R1 + (VB - VC)/R2 = 0, where VB is the voltage at node B, VA is the voltage at node A, VC is the voltage at node C, and R1 and R2 are resistors in the circuit. We can then use Ohm's Law to relate VB to the current through the resistors, and solve for VB.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in nodal analysis?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the nodes in the circuit. Make sure to identify and label all the nodes before writing the nodal equations. Another mistake is using the wrong reference node, which can lead to incorrect calculations. It is also important to double check the signs and units of each term in the nodal equations to avoid errors.