Making a Home-Made Ping Pong Table: Bounciness and Fixes

• Thread starter kashodiya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary: Picking the right table is important - it doesn't have to be the most expensive, but it should be durable and have good bounce.
kashodiya
I made a home made ping pong table using a 5 millimeter thick wood sheet of size 4 feet by 8 feet. I found that my ping pong ball bounce less as compared to how much it bounce on official real table.

Can you explain me what is the cause of this reduction in bounciness?

Is there any quick fix workaround to change my home made table to get as much bounce as the real table?

Physics news on Phys.org
A reduction in bounce means that your table is absorbing more of the energy of the ball than a standard table. This usually means that your table isn't "hard enough". It's not rigid enough, so it's absorbing some of the energy rather than reflecting it back. To get more bounce, try a harder material.

This link tells you that a pingpong table is usually made of high density fiberboard:
http://tabletennis.about.com/od/beginnersfaqs/f/build_tt_table.htm

5mm seems rather thin..too much bounce...meaning energy is being absorbed...You could support the table top with stringers...like wood floor joists support a wood floor. You can also double up on the thickness of your table top...

Doubling up with the same material is not going to help...it is not like the wood moves back every time a tiny ping-pong hits it...it does not move, it is simply too much mass in comparison...the problem lies right there at the surface, it is the 'hardness' that is not hard enough...the wood is just too puffy...

Instead of doubling up with the same material, add a layer of another material. As suggested, try a high-density-fiberboard (FDF).

gsal said:
As suggested, try a high-density-fiberboard (FDF).

But before you do so, first price it, then compare it the cost of simply buying a cheap ping pong table.

1. How can I make my home-made ping pong table more bouncy?

In order to make your home-made ping pong table more bouncy, you can use a high-quality playing surface material, such as plywood or MDF, and make sure it is at least 3/4 inch thick. Additionally, you can add a layer of rubber padding or foam underneath the playing surface to enhance the bounce. Finally, make sure to keep the table clean and smooth to maintain maximum bounciness.

2. What can I do if my home-made ping pong table is too bouncy?

If your home-made ping pong table is too bouncy, you can try using a thinner playing surface material, such as 1/2 inch plywood or MDF. You can also reduce the amount of rubber padding or foam underneath the playing surface. Additionally, try using a lower quality or worn out ping pong ball, as this can help decrease the bounce.

3. How do I fix uneven bounciness on my home-made ping pong table?

If you notice that your home-made ping pong table has uneven bounciness, it could be due to an uneven playing surface. You can fix this by sanding down any uneven areas on the playing surface and making sure it is smooth. You can also try placing a level on the table to ensure it is even. If the issue persists, you may need to replace the playing surface material.

4. Can I use any type of paint on my home-made ping pong table?

No, not all types of paint are suitable for a ping pong table. It is important to use a paint that will not affect the bounce of the ball. Water-based acrylic or latex paints are the best options for a home-made ping pong table. Avoid using oil-based paints as they can create a slick surface that will negatively impact the bounce of the ball.

5. How can I maintain the bounciness of my home-made ping pong table over time?

To maintain the bounciness of your home-made ping pong table, make sure to regularly clean and smooth the playing surface. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials when cleaning the table. If you notice any areas of wear or damage on the playing surface, repair or replace them as needed. Additionally, store the table in a dry and temperature-controlled environment to prevent warping or damage to the playing surface.