Induced magnetic field in rings

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of a large radius difference between two concentric conducting rings, where the larger ring is used to create a magnetic field through the smaller ring. However, when asked about the magnetic field in the center of the rings, only the field induced by the current in the larger ring is taken into account. This is due to the constraint that the radius of the larger ring must be much greater than the smaller ring, effectively negating the effects of the smaller ring. This can be seen by plugging in a radius of 0 for the smaller ring in the equations. The conversation also clarifies that the distance from the origin, not the radius of the ring, is used in
dudy
Hello,
Say I have two concentric conducting rings, where r1 >> r2 (why is this important, btw?),
and I run a time alternating current I(1) thru the larger one.
This will create a magnetic field B (also) thru the smaller ring, which in turn will create itself a magnetic field B2 and so on.
However, when asked "What is the magnetic field in the center of the rings", the answer is always that it is the magnetic field induced by I(1).
How come the field generated by the smaller ring is not taken into account ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that is what the constraint of r1 >> r2.

Get your equations and plug in 0 for r2, and it should reduce to the equation for only one ring.

When they say r1 >> r2, it means that r1 is big enough to negate the effects of r2, kind of like how when they say the distance from a wire is much less than the length of the wire, so we can assume the field is uniform.

khemist said:
I would guess that is what the constraint of r1 >> r2.

Get your equations and plug in 0 for r2, and it should reduce to the equation for only one ring.

When they say r1 >> r2, it means that r1 is big enough to negate the effects of r2, kind of like how when they say the distance from a wire is much less than the length of the wire, so we can assume the field is uniform.

that was my guess aswell, but B is proportional to I/r, and so the smaller r is- the greater the ring's contribution to the field.

I am pretty sure that r is not the radius of the ring, but distance from the origin.

in this formula the ring is centered at the origin, so its the same

1. What is an induced magnetic field in rings?

An induced magnetic field in rings is a phenomenon where a magnetic field is created in a conducting ring when a magnetic flux passes through it. This is based on Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction.

2. How is an induced magnetic field in rings created?

An induced magnetic field in rings is created when there is a change in the magnetic flux passing through the ring. This change can be caused by a changing magnetic field or by the ring moving through a magnetic field.

3. What are the applications of induced magnetic field in rings?

Induced magnetic field in rings has various applications in science and technology. It is used in generators to produce electricity, in transformers to transfer electricity between circuits, and in motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

4. Can induced magnetic field in rings be controlled?

Yes, the strength and direction of an induced magnetic field in rings can be controlled by changing the amount and direction of the magnetic flux passing through the ring. This can be done by using materials with different magnetic permeability or by changing the shape and orientation of the ring.

5. How is induced magnetic field in rings different from permanent magnetic field?

Induced magnetic field in rings is temporary and only exists when there is a change in the magnetic flux passing through the ring. On the other hand, a permanent magnetic field is created by the alignment of magnetic domains in a material and does not require an external source for its existence.