Finding out applied force in order to get acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a person pushing a box with an initial velocity of 5.2m/s on a horizontal floor. The box has a mass of 22kg and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.44. The goal is to determine the distance the box slides before coming to rest, but it cannot be solved as there is no information given about the applied force.
DPXJube

Homework Statement

A person pushes a box across a horizontal floor with an initial velocity of 5.2m/s. The box has a mass of 22kg, and the coefficient of Kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.44. How far does the box slide before coming to rest?

Homework Equations

μk = FK/FN
Fnetx = FA - FK(assuming that right is positive and left is negative)
V2 - V1 = 2aΔd

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearrange μk = FK/FN to FK = μkFN
Find Normal Force
FN = FG
FG = mg
Get 215.6 for FG which is in turn the normal force.
FK = (0.44)(215.6)
FK = 94.9
Find acceleration
Fnet = FA - FK
ma = FA - FK

And at this point I do not know what to do as I do not have the apllied force.
The plan after that was to rearrange the Kinematic equation into Δd = V2-V1/2a and fill in for that.
Unless of course my Free Body Diagram is wrong and there IS no applied force, although that seems unlikely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on my reading of this problem it seems that the correct answer is the one that you hit on at the end, that there is no applied force in this problem.

DPXJube said:

Homework Statement

A person pushes a box across a horizontal floor with an initial velocity of 5.2m/s. The box has a mass of 22kg, and the coefficient of Kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.44. How far does the box slide before coming to rest?

Homework Equations

μk = FK/FN
Fnetx = FA - FK(assuming that right is positive and left is negative)
V2 - V1 = 2aΔd

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearrange μk = FK/FN to FK = μkFN
Find Normal Force
FN = FG
FG = mg
Get 215.6 for FG which is in turn the normal force.
FK = (0.44)(215.6)
FK = 94.9
Find acceleration
Fnet = FA - FK
ma = FA - FK

And at this point I do not know what to do as I do not have the apllied force.
The plan after that was to rearrange the Kinematic equation into Δd = V2-V1/2a and fill in for that.
Unless of course my Free Body Diagram is wrong and there IS no applied force, although that seems unlikely.

Hi DPXJube,

How about we try conservation of energy since your usual method is not working :wink:

The change in kinetic energy = work done by the frictional force.

ActionFrank said:
Based on my reading of this problem it seems that the correct answer is the one that you hit on at the end, that there is no applied force in this problem.
Unfortunately I've checked the answer for the question and there is indeed an applied force.

DPXJube said:
Unfortunately I've checked the answer for the question and there is indeed an applied force.

In that case, your question cannot be solved. What was the answer given?

1. What is applied force?

Applied force is the force that is exerted on an object by a person or another object to cause it to move or accelerate.

2. How is applied force measured?

Applied force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) using a spring scale or a force sensor. In some cases, it can also be calculated using other known variables such as mass and acceleration.

3. What factors affect the amount of applied force needed for acceleration?

The amount of applied force needed for acceleration depends on the mass of the object and the desired acceleration. In addition, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also affect the amount of applied force needed.

4. How is applied force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that increasing the applied force will result in a greater acceleration, while increasing the mass will result in a lower acceleration.

5. How can I use applied force to calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration using applied force, you can use the equation F=ma, where F is the applied force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration. You can rearrange this equation to solve for a given any two of the variables.