Summation inside a summation inside a summation

• Thread starter qwerty12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation was about how to solve a mathematical equation and the confusion surrounding the use of parentheses. The speaker initially tried to solve the equation by putting the numbers in brackets and working from the right, but was unsure of the use of variables K and J. They then tried to solve it with a calculator and got a different answer, but eventually realized their mistake and solved the equation correctly.
qwerty12345
IMG_20120915_210615.jpg
I know how to do it normally, but this confuses me. Can you show me how to do it? And what were the steps you took... etc. Initially, I thought of putting them inside brtackets and work out the last one at the right first, but I'd need to know what K and J are, it's confusing. Can anyone make this clear for me?
EDIT:
IMG_20120915_222841.jpg

I tried this, but it doesn't seem like I'm on the right track.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IMG_20120915_230928.jpg

But I also solved it with a calculator and it says the answer is 81. What am I doing wrong?

Nevermind. I figured it out. :D

IMG_20120915_232603.jpg

1-1+1 = 1 not -1 ... that's if you mean i - j + k and not i - (j + k) .

1. What is summation inside a summation inside a summation?

Summation inside a summation inside a summation refers to a mathematical expression where there are three nested summation symbols. This means that there are three levels of summation, with the innermost summation being evaluated first, followed by the middle summation, and finally the outermost summation.

2. What is the purpose of using summation inside a summation inside a summation?

Summation inside a summation inside a summation is often used in mathematics and statistics to simplify complex expressions and make calculations more efficient. It is also commonly used in solving problems involving series and sequences.

3. Can you provide an example of summation inside a summation inside a summation?

One example is the Riemann zeta function, which is defined as the infinite sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers raised to a given power. This function can be expressed using summation inside a summation inside a summation, as the innermost summation is over the power of the integers, the middle summation is over the integers themselves, and the outermost summation is over the power of the entire expression.

4. What are some real-world applications of summation inside a summation inside a summation?

Summation inside a summation inside a summation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it is used to calculate the total energy of a system of particles, while in engineering, it can be used to model complex systems with multiple variables. In economics, it is used in financial calculations such as compound interest and annuities.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using summation inside a summation inside a summation?

One limitation is that as the number of nested summations increases, the complexity of the expression also increases, making it more challenging to calculate. Another challenge is ensuring that the summations are correctly nested and that the order of evaluation is followed, as mistakes can lead to incorrect results. Additionally, the convergence of the summations must be carefully considered to avoid divergent or infinite results.