'Brain on Fire' - a rare autoimmune disease

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of knowledge about diseases and disorders affecting the brain, leading to misdiagnosis and mistreatment. It highlights the case of a young reporter who was initially diagnosed with mono but later found to be suffering from anti-NDMA-receptor encephalitis. The disease, which causes swelling in the brain, was only recently identified and can be treated if caught early. The conversation also mentions the frightening symptoms she experienced, including delusions, paranoia, and violent seizures, which were initially dismissed by her doctors. In the end, she was fortunate to have a doctor who correctly diagnosed her and saved her from potential coma and death.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Amazing and frightening that we still know so little about diseases and disorders that affect the brain. How many people don't get diagnosed correctly. Such a shame since they say it is easily treatable.

Before she mysteriously contracted the disease, Cahalan was a bright, outgoing, and ambitious 24-year-old reporter for the New York Post. After exhibiting flu-like symptoms that were initially diagnosed as mono, she suddenly began experiencing delusions and behaving erratically. Within a few weeks, she became increasingly abusive, moody, and paranoid. Her doctors brushed off her condition as a result of too much partying and stress, but her first violent seizure signaled there was something critically askew.

Late one night, her guttural moans and grating squeaks woke up her boyfriend, Stephen. “My arms suddenly whipped out in front of me like, like a mummy, as my eyes rolled back and my body stiffened,” she writes. “I was gasping for air. My body continued to stiffen as I inhaled repeatedly, with no exhale. Blood and foam began to spurt through clenched teeth. Terrified, [he] stifled a panicked cry and for a second he stared, frozen, at my shaking body.” She now describes her seizures as eerily similar to the character Regan’s outbursts in ‘The Exorcist.’

<snip>

While her other doctors had all but given up on finding a diagnosis, Najjar swiftly ordered a brain biopsy that would confirm his hunch that she was suffering from an autoimmune disease that had only been identified two years earlier. Cahalan was the 217th person in the world to be diagnosed with anti-NDMA-receptor encephalitis, a relatively treatable illness that causes swelling in the right lobe of the brain. Untreated, she may have sunk into coma and eventually died.

http://shine.yahoo.com/book-club/-brain-on-fire---a-writer-possessed.html

Biology news on Phys.org
Whoa...crazy.

1. What is 'Brain on Fire' and what causes it?

'Brain on Fire' is a rare autoimmune disease that affects the brain. It is caused by the body's immune system attacking healthy brain cells, leading to inflammation and damage. The exact cause of this disease is not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of genetic and environmental factors.

2. What are the symptoms of 'Brain on Fire'?

The symptoms of 'Brain on Fire' can vary, but some common symptoms include seizures, hallucinations, memory loss, and changes in behavior and personality. Other symptoms may include headaches, difficulty speaking and understanding, and movement disorders.

3. How is 'Brain on Fire' diagnosed?

Diagnosing 'Brain on Fire' can be challenging as it is a rare disease and its symptoms can overlap with other neurological disorders. A thorough medical history, physical examination, and various tests such as blood tests, brain imaging, and spinal tap may be used to diagnose this disease.

4. Is there a cure for 'Brain on Fire'?

Currently, there is no known cure for 'Brain on Fire'. However, with early detection and proper treatment, many patients can experience significant improvement in their symptoms. Treatment may include immunotherapy, steroids, and other medications to reduce inflammation and manage symptoms.

5. Can 'Brain on Fire' be prevented?

As the exact cause of 'Brain on Fire' is unknown, there is no known way to prevent it. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoiding potential triggers such as infections and stress may help reduce the risk of developing this disease.