Does $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ Diverge or Converge?

• Thread starter KataKoniK
  • Start date
In summary: The first equation (ln x / x) does go to zero as x goes to infinity, but the series \sum(\log n)/n still diverges. Don't mix up the limit of the terms with the limit of their partial sums.
KataKoniK
I am a bit confused here of whether the following functions diverge or converge.

[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\ln x \backslash x[/tex]

I used teh Integral test and got an answer showing the series is divergent where

Code:
lim     ((ln b)^2) / 2 = infinity
b-> infinity

Is this correct? I graphed the equation and saw an answer such that the equation converged to 0.

[tex]\sum[/tex] 2/(x (lnx)^2)

I don't think I did this right either. Using the integral test I got

Code:
lim     -2/(ln b) + 2 / ln(2) = 2 / ln(2)
b-> infinity
So it converges to 2 / ln(2)

Am I allowed to assume that -2/(ln b) -> 0 as b-> infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
presumably you're summing over x in N.

The first diverges by the comparson test:

log(n)/n >1/n

and sum 1/n diverges.

The second I think does converge by the integral test, but the limits of the sum and the integral are NOT the same, it is merely an existence test, it does not tell you what it is.

incidentally, what equations are you referring to when you talk about graphing them?

I might be wrong here, but for the first equation (ln x / x) I graphed it into the calculator and saw the graph getting closer and closer to 0 as x -> infinity.

Thanks for your help.

KataKoniK said:
I might be wrong here, but for the first equation (ln x / x) I graphed it into the calculator and saw the graph getting closer and closer to 0 as x -> infinity.

log(x)/x does go to zero as x goes to infinity, but the series [itex]\sum(\log n)/n[/itex] still diverges. Don't mix up the limit of the terms with the limit of their partial sums.

Or did you mean you graphed [tex]\log(x)^2/2[/tex] and found it was going to zero as x whent to infinity? If so, check again. What is log(x) doing as x grows?

1. What is the series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$?

The series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ is an infinite sum of terms in the form of $\frac{\ln x}{x}$, where $x$ is a positive real number.

2. Does the series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ converge or diverge?

The series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ is a divergent series, meaning that it does not have a finite sum. This can be proven using the integral test or the comparison test.

3. Why does the series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ diverge?

The series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ diverges because the terms of the series do not approach zero as $x$ approaches infinity. This violates the necessary condition for convergence, known as the divergence test.

4. Is there a way to modify the series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ to make it converge?

No, there is no way to modify the series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ to make it converge. As mentioned earlier, the terms of the series do not approach zero, which is a necessary condition for convergence. Therefore, the series is inherently divergent.

5. Can the series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ be used in any practical applications?

No, the series $\sum \ln x \backslash x$ does not have any practical applications as it is a divergent series. In mathematics and science, only convergent series are used in practical applications to make accurate calculations and predictions.