Consequence of light pointing towards a blackhole

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of black holes and the behavior of light near them. It is mentioned that light from other stars cannot reach the event horizon of a black hole and instead bends due to its gravitational force. The question is posed whether a light source pointed towards a black hole will hit the event horizon and never return. It is clarified that this is correct, but if the light is pointed next to the black hole it may loop back around or go in another direction. The concept of Einstein rings and the effect of gravitational lensing on light near black holes is also brought up.
cooper607
hi guys, i have an elementary question about the black hole..recently i have read in a science magazine that even the lights from other stars can not reach to the black hole ( event horizon) rather bends in other direction due to its gravitational force..now my question is if i point a light source towards a black hole , will it not hit the black hole (event horizon ) and never return to me ? or it will just bend tangent to the horizon and go to some other space ...

previously i thought black holes just grab light and never returns it ...but grabs actually...is it wrong thinking ?
please help me
regards

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You had it right: the light will enter the black hole and never return, if it is pointed right at the black hole. If the light is pointed next to the black hole, it may loop back around and return to you (or go in another direction).

Check out Einstein rings for the gravitational lensing effects on what Black Holes do to light that isn't quite caught in it's maw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_ring

thanks a lot.. now i can ask the author of the paper how he mentioned it ..

I can confirm that the statement you read is correct. Light that is emitted from a source towards a black hole will indeed be bent by the strong gravitational force of the black hole. This is known as gravitational lensing. The light may appear to curve around the black hole, but it will not reach the event horizon. The event horizon is the point of no return for anything, including light. Once the light is bent, it will continue to travel in a curved path away from the black hole.

Your previous understanding of black holes is not entirely wrong. Black holes do "grab" light and other matter, but they do not hold onto it forever. Some of the matter may be pulled into the black hole, while other particles may be ejected back into space in the form of jets. Overall, the intense gravitational force of a black hole affects the movement of light and matter in its vicinity, but it does not completely consume them.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of black holes and their effects on light. It is always important to continue learning and asking questions in science. Keep up the curiosity and exploration!

1. What is the consequence of light pointing towards a black hole?

The consequence of light pointing towards a black hole is that it will be unable to escape the immense gravitational pull of the black hole. This phenomenon is known as gravitational lensing, where the path of light is bent due to the strong gravitational field of the black hole.

2. Will the light be completely absorbed by the black hole?

No, not all of the light will be absorbed by the black hole. Some of the light may be able to escape and be seen by an observer, but it will be significantly weakened and redshifted due to the strong gravitational pull of the black hole.

3. How does the distance from the black hole affect the light's path?

The closer the light is to the black hole, the stronger the gravitational pull and the more it will be bent. This means that light closer to the black hole will experience more severe gravitational lensing compared to light further away.

4. Can light ever escape a black hole's event horizon?

No, once light crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it will be unable to escape. This is because the event horizon is the point of no return, where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape.

5. How does the shape of the black hole affect the light's path?

The shape of a black hole does not significantly impact the path of light. However, the rotation of a spinning black hole can cause a phenomenon known as frame dragging, where the space-time around the black hole is dragged along with the rotation and can affect the path of light near the black hole.