Sommerfeld model and fine spectral lines

In summary: What my textbook says is that for the same quantum number n, different elliptical orbits have a slightly different energy which is related to Einstein's mass-velocity dependence.This is due to the precession of the orbital and spin angular momentum.
Absentee
Hey guys! First time posting on this site. Been reading for quite a while and really loving it! :thumbs:!
I'm a chemistry student and reading my book in general chemistry I couldn't understand two things about Sommersfeld's atomic model.

I believe i understand the whole concept but what bothers me is the energy difference in different elliptical orbits.

What my textbook says is that for the same quantum number n, different elliptical orbits have a slightly different energy which is related to Einstein's mass-velocity dependence.

But what does it mean? I could understand that the highest velocity can be measured in the most elongated ellipse because electron gets as close as he can get to the nucleus so his kinetic energy rises due to the higher velocity and larger mass. But on the other hand, on that same ellipse he gets in the position where he is as far as he can get relative to nucleus so that's where his velocity should be the smallest, and so would mass - so that kinda cancels out, am i right right?
So what is this all about?

Also, what i read is that in atoms with more than one electron (with large number of electrons) the outer orbit electron while orbiting in elliptical orbit penetrates the inner orbits and gets really close the the nucleus and his potential energy gets lower. So the more elongated ellipse is, the lower overall energy is. But in that same ellipse he gets the furthest from the nucleus, and shouldn't that increase potential energy and kinda cancel out whole effect?

Could you help me? Thanks! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
What my textbook says is that for the same quantum number n, different elliptical orbits have a slightly different energy which is related to Einstein's mass-velocity dependence.
I believe it has to do with the precession of the orbital and spin angular momentum. But I'm no expert.

dlgoff said:
I believe it has to do with the precession of the orbital and spin angular momentum. But I'm no expert.
I believe it's not related with spin angular momentum because Sommerfeld theory was proposed before spin was known. So according to my book, Sommerfeld theory explained this phenomena. But i just don't quite get it.

In an elliptical orbit, the fast part and the slow part don't quite cancel out. I'm not familiar enough with the model to know which parameters are held constant as the ellipticity is changed.

1. What is the Sommerfeld model and how does it relate to fine spectral lines?

The Sommerfeld model is a quantum mechanical theory that describes the energy levels and behavior of electrons in an atom. It takes into account the effects of electron spin and orbital angular momentum, leading to the prediction of fine spectral lines in the atomic spectra.

2. How does the Sommerfeld model differ from the Bohr model?

The Bohr model is a simplified version of the Sommerfeld model, as it only considers the effects of electron orbital angular momentum and does not take into account electron spin. The Sommerfeld model, on the other hand, includes both factors and provides a more accurate description of atomic energy levels and spectral lines.

3. What is the significance of fine spectral lines in the Sommerfeld model?

Fine spectral lines are important in the Sommerfeld model as they provide a more detailed description of the energy levels and transitions of electrons in an atom. These lines result from the interaction of electron spin and orbital angular momentum, and their observation can help validate the predictions of the model.

4. How does the Sommerfeld model explain the fine structure of spectral lines?

The Sommerfeld model explains the fine structure of spectral lines by incorporating the concept of spin-orbit coupling. This means that the energy levels of an electron are affected by both its orbital angular momentum and its intrinsic spin, resulting in splitting of energy levels and the observation of fine spectral lines.

5. What other applications does the Sommerfeld model have besides explaining fine spectral lines?

The Sommerfeld model has been used to explain other phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as the Zeeman effect and the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron. It has also been applied in other fields, such as solid state physics, to understand the behavior of electrons in materials.