Torque on a current-carrying loop

In summary, when a current carrying loop is placed in a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to the plane of the loop, the torque exerted on the loop can be calculated using the formula T = IAB. This was demonstrated using an equilateral triangular loop and considering the contributions of each side, yielding the formula T = 2BIx^2. However, this is incorrect as the force equation should include a factor of sin 60, resulting in the correct formula T = IBx^2√3.
gnome
When a current carrying loop is placed in a uniform magnetic field and the normal to the plane of the loop is ⊥ to the direction of the field (iow the plane of the loop is parallel to the direction of the field), at that moment the torque (about any axis) exerted on the loop is supposed to be
T = IAB
where I is the current, A is the area of the loop, and B is the field.

So, I want to try this out on an equilateral triangular loop with base = 2x, height = x√3, and hypotenuse = 2x.
I'll put my axis of rotation along a vertical line from the apex to the center of the base. This way, the torque on half of the base is clockwise & on the other half counterclockwise, so the base can be ignored in the calculations. By symmetry, the torque contributions of the other two legs are equal, so we can just calculate one of them & then double it. So, now I'm looking at half of the original equilateral triangle: a 30-60-90 triangle, with the axis of rotation along the vertical (long) leg. The measurement along this axis is h = x√3. The measurement along the base is just x.

The magnetic force is exerted along the hypotenuse, L = 2x.
The force exerted on each little piece dL is:
F = BIdL
but
L = (2/√3)h; therefore
dL = (2/√3)dh; so
F = (2/√3)BIdh
The distance from each dL to the axis:
d = (1/√3)h
Therefore the torque contribution from each dL should be
dT = Fd
dT = (2/√3)BIdh*(1/√3)h
dT = (2/3)BIhdh
So the total torque on this half of the triangle is
T = (2/3)BI∫0x√3 hdh
T = (2/3)BI[h2/2]|0x√3
T = (2/3)BI*(3x2/2)
T = BIx2

The torque on the entire equilateral triangle should be double this, or
T = 2BIx2

But this is wrong. The formula says that the torque should be
T = IAB
For an equilateral triangle with side = 2x, A = x2√3
T = IBx2√3

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by gnome
The force exerted on each little piece dL is:
F = BIdL

The force is given by F = Idl X B, where "dl X B" is the cross product of the vectors dl and B. Since they are not perpendicular, you must include a factor of sin 60. Include that missing factor and your answer is perfect.

Thanks, Doc. I forgot that now I'm dealing with the L vector instead of just the orthogonal to the plane of the loop.

1. What is torque on a current-carrying loop?

The torque on a current-carrying loop is the measure of the twisting force exerted on the loop when it is placed in a magnetic field. It is a vector quantity and is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the loop, and the orientation of the loop with respect to the field.

2. How is torque on a current-carrying loop calculated?

The torque on a current-carrying loop can be calculated using the formula: τ = NIABsinθ, where N is the number of turns in the loop, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the loop.

3. What is the direction of torque on a current-carrying loop?

The direction of torque on a current-carrying loop can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the fingers of the right hand are curled in the direction of the current, the thumb will point in the direction of the torque.

4. How does the orientation of the loop affect torque?

The orientation of the loop with respect to the magnetic field greatly affects the torque. When the loop is parallel to the field, the torque is zero. As the angle between the loop and the field increases, the torque also increases, reaching its maximum value when the loop is perpendicular to the field.

5. What are some practical applications of torque on a current-carrying loop?

Torque on a current-carrying loop has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and meters. It is also used in devices like galvanometers and compasses to measure current or magnetic fields. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the operation of electromagnetic devices like speakers and hard drives.