Why do molecules have rotational Raman spectra?

In summary, the Raman spectra of molecules can also be affected by their rotational motion, in addition to their vibrational motion. This is because the polarizability of the molecule must be anisotropic for it to be rotationally Raman active. This anisotropy is described by a tensor and is necessary for the polarizability to change as the molecule rotates. Without this anisotropy, the polarizability would not change and the Raman shifted lines would not be observed. However, it is still unclear how this anisotropy fits into the quantum mechanical picture of Raman spectroscopy.
QMrocks
Hi all,

i am studying the physics of Raman Spectra. Was able to understand the origin of Vibrational Raman Spectra... which was an effect due to the change of polarizability with internuclear distance due to molecular vibration. But, i still yet to figure out why rotation of molecules can result in Raman spectra too? I'm reading the book 'molecular physics and elements of quantum chemistry' by H. Haken. They mention something about the polarizability of the molecule as a tensor and that its their tensor anisotropy that contribute to this effect. But i was not able to appreciate in essence why this is so... Can someone pls direct me to better resource on this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
rotational raman

An easier way to understand it might be to state that for a molecule to be rotationally Raman active, the polarizability perpendicular to the rotational axis should be anisotropic, or the polarizability should be different in different directions. This results in the polarizability being described by a tensor.

dgiznya

dgiznya said:
An easier way to understand it might be to state that for a molecule to be rotationally Raman active, the polarizability perpendicular to the rotational axis should be anisotropic, or the polarizability should be different in different directions. This results in the polarizability being described by a tensor.

dgiznya

This is exactly the point which i do not understand. Why must the polarizability be anisotropic for it to be Raman active?

rot raman

If the polarizability is not anisotropic the polarizability will not change as the molecule rotates and you need this changing polarizability for the molecule to be active.

This is similar to vibrational raman where the polarizability of the molecule must change as the molecule vibrates for it to be raman active.

dgiznya

dgiznya said:
If the polarizability is not anisotropic the polarizability will not change as the molecule rotates and you need this changing polarizability for the molecule to be active.

This is similar to vibrational raman where the polarizability of the molecule must change as the molecule vibrates for it to be raman active.

dgiznya

You mean you need this anisotropy to see the Raman shifted lines? These discrete lines are however QM effects, which is due to the transistion to an excited virtual state to a rotational state or ground state (depending if Stokes or anti-Stokes). How would one able to bring the anisotropic effect into this QM picture? It seems to me even if the polarizability is isotropic, these transitions can still take place... :confused:

What is Rotational Raman Spectra?

Rotational Raman Spectra is a spectroscopic technique used to study the rotational energy levels of molecules. It involves shining light on a sample and measuring the scattered light, which can provide information about the molecular structure and dynamics.

How does Rotational Raman Spectra differ from other spectroscopic techniques?

Rotational Raman Spectra is unique because it measures the inelastic scattering of light, rather than the absorption or emission of light as in other techniques. This allows for the observation of molecular vibrations and rotations, which can provide more detailed information about the sample.

What type of molecules can be studied with Rotational Raman Spectra?

Rotational Raman Spectra can be used to study any molecule that has a dipole moment and can scatter light. This includes diatomic molecules, such as oxygen and nitrogen, as well as larger molecules with multiple bonds, such as carbon dioxide and water.

What are the applications of Rotational Raman Spectra?

Rotational Raman Spectra has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and environmental science. It can be used to identify and analyze unknown substances, study molecular dynamics and structures, and monitor chemical reactions and processes.

What are some limitations of Rotational Raman Spectra?

One limitation of Rotational Raman Spectra is that it requires a relatively large amount of sample, which can be challenging for samples with limited availability. Additionally, it may not be suitable for studying molecules with low dipole moments or those that are highly symmetrical.