Prove that summation of n(n+1)/2 is true for all integers.

In summary, the proof of the summation of n(n+1)/2 is not valid because the inductive hypothesis does not hold for all integers.
sre2f
Prove that summation of n(n+1)/2 is true for all integers. Why is my proof not valid?

Could someone explain to me how this is not a valid proof of the summation of "i" from i=1 to n:

n(n+1)/2

Show for base cases:

n=1: 1(1+1)/2=1
n=2: 2(2+1)/2=3
n=3: 3(3+1)/2=6

inductive hypothesis: 1+2+...+(n-1)=n(n-1)/2

((n-1)*n)/2 + n =
((n-1)*n)/2 + 2*n/2 =
((n-1)*n + 2*n)/2 =
((n-1 + 2)*n)/2 =
((n+1)*n)/2 =
(n*(n+1))/2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sre2f said:
Could someone explain to me how this is not a valid proof of the summation of "i" from i=1 to n:

n(n+1)/2

Show for base cases:

n=1: 1(1+1)/2=1
n=2: 2(2+1)/2=3
n=3: 3(3+1)/2=6

inductive hypothesis: 1+2+...+(n-1)=n(n-1)/2

((n-1)*n)/2 + n =
((n-1)*n)/2 + 2*n/2 =
((n-1)*n + 2*n)/2 =
((n-1 + 2)*n)/2 =
((n+1)*n)/2 =
(n*(n+1))/2.

for the first n integers the formula is n(n+1)/2

first of all don't use the same variable as given in the quesiton.. use some other positive integer k
so your inductive hypothesis should look like 1+2+...+k= k(k+1)/2

for the k+1 part
you have to prove the summation of the first k+1 integers 1+2+...+(k+1)
is equal to the formula you have when you sub in k+1 instead which looks like (k+1)(k+2)/2
and prove the two above statements are the same

Last edited:
Well, I can't tell you because it looks fine to me!

Of course, it's a bit peculiar. Instead of showing "if the statement is true for n then it is true for n+1", you've shown "if the statement is true for n-1 then it is true for n" but that's exactly the same thing.

A few stylistic points: while it is a good idea to calculate the formula for several cases to see how to proceed, in the actual proof by induction, it's not necessary to show it for more than n= 1, then show the induction step.
Also I, personally, prefer not to use the same symbol ("n") in the induction step as for is used in the theorem itself. That can be confused with assuming the statement you want to prove. I prefer to say "if it is true for n= k" and then show that it must be true for "n= k+1".

(Surely, you're not thinking that in going from "n-1" to "n", you are showing the statement is true "for n"? That might well be grounds for criticism! You are not trying to show the statement is true for "n", you are trying to show it is true for "all positive integers" or "any positive integer, n".)

Hmm, hypermonkey got in ahead of me but said basically the same thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there another way to prove the summation formula other than induction. I have never been taught induction and just guessed that what I was doing was right. A friend of mine told me it looked like I proved it by induction...

well ya, it is an inductive proof i suppose. but i wouldn't accept it as a proof were i a professor. its just too random to somehow notice that n(n+1)/2 is the sum of the first n positive integers. here's the proof that i find more fun :

n = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4...(n-1) + (n)
n = n + (n-1) + (n-2)...+ 2 + 1 here i just rearranged the terms

2n = n(n+1) here i just added together the first two equations.

thus

n= n(n+1)/2

you can choose whichever one you like, its just here i find its better because you FIND the formula, rather than find one and see if it works. have fun!

Bobo

hypermonkey2 said:

n = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4...(n-1) + (n)
n = n + (n-1) + (n-2)...+ 2 + 1 here i just rearranged the terms

2n = n(n+1) here i just added together the first two equations.

I am not seeing where you get n(n+1) out of the addition...

Likes NGZxStarz
Each adds to (n+1), and that happens n times.

Another method you could use is called "sequence of differences" (I think that's what it's called). Basically you start with this:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k-\sum_{k=1}^{n}(k-1)=n[/tex]

apmcavoy said:
Each adds to (n+1), and that happens n times.

Another method you could use is called "sequence of differences" (I think that's what it's called). Basically you start with this:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}k-\sum_{k=1}^{n}(k-1)=n[/tex]

I did that method and got 0 points out of 30 for the problem...

B/c if you did it that way, you did not use induction.

A graphical proof is by making a triangle-shape out of squares of sides 1.

[tex]
\square [/tex]
[tex]\square \square [/tex]
[tex]\square \square \square [/tex]
[tex]\square \square \square \square [/tex]
[tex]\vdots[/tex]
[tex]\vdots[/tex]
[tex]\square \square \square \square \dots \dots \square [/tex]

Where the last row has n squares. The area of the triangle is simply the sum of all squares: 1+2+3+...+n
On the other hand, a real right triangle with sides of length n drawn on that squary-triangle with the hypotenuse connecting the upper left and lower right square has area n^2/2, this hypotenuse cuts square at the end of each row in half. To get the total area of the squary-triangle you have to add 1/2 for each row, so we find n^2/2+n/2=n(n+1)/2.

Induction may not be the most elegant way, but it's powerful and rigorous. Graphical proofs like this one can be considered too suggestive. Also, writng 1+2+3+..+n instead of summation or sigma notation can be considered suggestive (what do you mean by those dots?). Sounds very fastidious, but that's math sometimes.

Last edited:
Berko said:
B/c if you did it that way, you did not use induction.

We did not have to use induction. We were to do it by any method that would give the correct answer. As stated before, we have not been taught induction yet.

sre2f said:
We did not have to use induction. We were to do it by any method that would give the correct answer. As stated before, we have not been taught induction yet.

Then why didn't you receive credit? Unless I'm missing something, that method shows it works.

you get (n + 1) out of the addition, because if you look at the corresponding vertical terms, its
n

add them to get n+1

and then
(n-1)

add them to get n+1 and it continues this way n times, since there are n terms in the equation by definition.

have fun!

1. What is the summation of n(n+1)/2?

The summation of n(n+1)/2 is a mathematical formula that calculates the sum of all numbers from 1 to n, where n is an integer. It is represented as Σn(n+1)/2.

2. How do you prove that this formula is true for all integers?

The formula can be proved using mathematical induction. This involves showing that the formula holds true for the first integer (n=1), and then proving that if it holds true for any integer k, it also holds true for the next integer (k+1). This proves that the formula is true for all integers, starting from 1.

3. Can you explain the concept of mathematical induction in further detail?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof that is used to prove that a statement is true for all values of a specific variable (in this case, n). It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is shown to be true for the first value of the variable, and the inductive step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for one value of the variable, it is also true for the next value. This process is repeated until it is proven that the statement is true for all values of the variable.

4. What are some common mistakes when using mathematical induction to prove this formula?

One common mistake is assuming that the formula holds true for the next integer without actually proving it. It is important to go through the steps of the inductive step to show that the formula holds true for the next integer. Another mistake is using the formula itself as part of the proof, as this can create a circular argument.

5. Are there any other methods to prove this formula?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the principle of finite induction or using a direct proof. However, mathematical induction is the most commonly used method for proving this type of formula, as it is straightforward and easy to understand.