What is the definition of eccentric angle in relation to an ellipse?

In summary, the eccentric angle is the angle from the origin to a point on an ellipse. To find the tangent of this angle, you need to use the parametrization of the ellipse as x=a*cos(t), y=b*sin(t), where 't' is the eccentric angle. This information can be found on Mathworld. The eccentric angle is important in graphically determining the position of a point on an ellipse.
Unicyclist
I'm revising form my A-levels now and I ran into a bit of problem with a question. It looks easy, but I can't get the answer at the back of the book. Could be a typo, but could be me that's wrong.

Question: The eccentric angle corresponding to the point (2, 1) on the ellipse with equation [tex] x^2 + 9y^2 = 13[/tex] is [tex]\theta[/tex]. Find [tex]\tan \theta[/tex]

The book isn't very clear on what the eccentric angle is, so could someone maybe explain that to me, please? I understand it as the angle from the middle of the ellipse - in this case the origin - to the point (2, 1). So, [tex]\tan \theta[/tex] would be opposite/adjacent, 1/2. Apparently, it's not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just looked it up at mathworld. The ellipse can be parametrized as x=a*cos(t), y=b*sin(t) where a and b are the semi-axes. The angle 't' is the 'eccentric angle'.

Thank you. I should've done that myself.

Dick said:
I just looked it up at mathworld. The ellipse can be parametrized as x=a*cos(t), y=b*sin(t) where a and b are the semi-axes. The angle 't' is the 'eccentric angle'.

Thanks a lot, Dick. This was causing me a lot of pain when I saw a question asking how I would graphically determine it, seeing as I had no idea what the eccentric angle was. Makes perfect sense now, just have to use a circle that contains the ellipse to determine the new angle.

Edit: (oh, and sorry to resurrect this thread, just occurred to me that I shouldn't have done so. I'm just so glad now that I couldn't help it :D)

Well, cheers. Just because it takes two years doesn't mean it's not worth announcing you got it. I guess.

Oh, I just happened to come across this on Google, so it wasn't long at all for me. Everything is relative.

Right, sorry, I confused you with to OP.

1. What is the eccentric angle of an ellipse?

The eccentric angle of an ellipse is the angle between the major axis and the line joining the center of the ellipse to a point on the ellipse's circumference.

2. How is the eccentric angle calculated?

The eccentric angle can be calculated using the formula arctan(b/a * tan(theta)), where a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axes respectively, and theta is the angle between the major axis and the line joining the center to the point on the ellipse.

3. What does the eccentric angle represent?

The eccentric angle represents the deviation of an ellipse from being a perfect circle. The higher the eccentric angle, the more elongated the ellipse is.

4. Can the eccentric angle be negative?

No, the eccentric angle is always positive as it is measured in a counter-clockwise direction from the major axis.

5. How is the eccentric angle related to the eccentricity of an ellipse?

The eccentricity of an ellipse is equal to the sine of the eccentric angle. This means that as the eccentric angle increases, the eccentricity also increases, resulting in a more elongated ellipse.