Why my school method doesnt work

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding calculating the potential between two distances, r1 and r2, using a specific formula. The mistake is identified as not considering the potential at infinity to be 0 and the conversation further discusses the legality of using an integration variable in an interval and the different approaches taken by the individuals involved.
transgalactic
the question is :
http://i39.tinypic.com/ll89s.gif

the solution is here:
http://i39.tinypic.com/bej341.gif

my question is about part b when calculating the potential between [tex]r_1[/tex] and [tex]r_2[/tex]:
r1<r<r2
we take the potential from the outer sphere (-150)
which is constant inside of it,and we sum with the potential from the inner sphere
which changes by r.

so its -150+( 9*10^9 *10* 10^-9)/r

they get a different expression in another way

my question is,where is my mistake in my way of solving?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mistake is that you haven't used "with V= 0 at r= [itex]\infty[/itex]".

Any potential is "relative" to some base value. If you take V= 0 at [itex]\infty[/itex]
you will should find that the constant potential inside [itex]r_2[/itex] is 0.

i did take it that way.
and the potential in r1<r<r2
is not zero
the answer in the book doesn't say that too??

i can't understand how i didnt use that the potential in infinity is 0
what part of my solution says other wise?

and its not legat lo put the integration variable in the interval

??

transgalactic said:
and its not legat lo put the integration variable in the interval

??
Sure it's legal. It just isn't done very much. When you say that something isn't legal, you'll be taken more seriously if you cite a reason for your assertion.

I think what you're having a problem with is this integral:
[tex]\int_{r_1}^r \frac{89.9}{r^2}dr
[/tex]
To evaluate this definite integral, find the antiderivative of the integrand (which will be a function of r), and then evaluate this antiderivative at r (which involves exactly zero work), and then subtract its value at r1, which is 30 cm. What they're doing is finding the potential at a distance r, where r1 < r < r2.

-150+ 90/r

and they have

-450+ 90/r

??

When you integrated, did you put in r1 (which is 30 cm)? I can see from the answer you posted how they got their answer. You didn't show how you got your result, so I have to guess at what you might have done wrong.

but i am using a totaly different method

And we don't know what method you are using because you have refused to show what you have done! How can we possibly say what, if anything, you are doing wrong when you don't show what you have done?

1. Why doesn't my school method work for me?

There could be multiple reasons why your school method may not be effective. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the material, poor time management, or ineffective study habits. It is important to identify the specific problem and make necessary changes in order to see improvement.

2. Is it normal for my school method to not work?

Every individual learns differently, so it is possible for a school method to not work for some people. It is important to experiment with different techniques and find what works best for you.

3. How can I improve my school method?

One way to improve your school method is to identify your strengths and weaknesses and tailor your studying techniques accordingly. Also, try incorporating different methods such as visual aids, group study, or practice quizzes to find what works best for you.

4. Can my school method be influenced by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as stress, distractions, and lack of motivation can affect the effectiveness of your school method. It is important to create a conducive learning environment and manage these external factors to improve your studying experience.

5. What should I do if my school method is not effective?

If your school method is not working, it is important to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or academic advisor. They can provide guidance and suggest alternative techniques that may work better for you. Additionally, don't be afraid to try new methods and be open to making adjustments as needed.