Radioactive chain decay

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a standard linear differential equation to find the quantity of a substance at a given time in a radioactive chain decay problem. The differential equation governing exponential decay is mentioned, and the process of solving it through separation of variables is outlined. It is also mentioned that the amount of the second substance at a given time may need to be adjusted to account for the fact that it has not yet been produced at time t=0. The conversation also touches on the concept of the second product being the result of the decay of the first product and having a different decay constant.
bitrex

Homework Statement

I'm looking at a problem from MIT's Open Courseware on radioactive chain decay, i.e. one element decays into another decays into another, finding the quantity at time t.

Homework Equations

The standard linear differential equation governing exponential decay.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd just like to make sure I'm going about this the right way - to calculate say the amount of substance 2 present at time T you'd solve the differential equation for the first substance finding [tex]N(t) = N_o {e}^-{\lambda t}[/tex], then take that and plug it back into the standard exponential differential equation as the quantity, solve that differential equation etc. God knows I'm not going to try to code it up in Latex, but I'd just like to know that I'm on the right track.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the differential equations you refer to?

The differential equation governing exponential decay, i.e. [tex]\frac{dN}{dT} = -\lambda N[/tex]. Solving this through separation of variables should give me the amount of the first substance remaining at time T, that is [tex] N(t) = N_o {e}^{-\lambda t} [/tex]. If I want to find the amount of the next product of the chain decay at time T, I assume I would substitute the second equation for the amount of the first substance at time T back into the original differential equation as N and solve that to get [tex]N_2(t)[/tex], the amount of the second substance...

Actually, I think I might have to substitute [tex](N_o - N_o e^{-\lambda t})[/tex] since at time T = 0 there isn't any of the second substance yet produced to begin decaying!

The "second product" would be the result of the decay of the first product and that will have a different "[/itex]\lambda[/itex]".
In the formula you give,
[tex]\frac{dN}{dt}= -\lambda N[/tex],
N is the amount of the original substance at time t. The "product" N1 is
[tex]N_0- N_1(t)= N_0(1- e^{-\lambda t}[/tex]
as you say.

1. What is radioactive chain decay?

Radioactive chain decay is a process in which one radioactive element decays into a series of other elements until a stable element is reached.

2. How does radioactive chain decay occur?

During radioactive chain decay, the unstable nucleus of a radioactive element emits radiation in the form of alpha, beta, or gamma particles. This results in a change in the atomic number and mass number of the element, leading to the formation of a new element.

3. What factors affect the rate of radioactive chain decay?

The rate of radioactive chain decay is affected by the half-life of the initial radioactive element, the amount of the element present, and the type of radiation emitted.

4. What is the significance of radioactive chain decay?

Radioactive chain decay plays a crucial role in radiometric dating, which is used to determine the age of rocks and fossils. It also has applications in nuclear energy and medicine.

5. Can radioactive chain decay be controlled or stopped?

The rate of radioactive chain decay cannot be controlled or stopped. It is a spontaneous process that occurs naturally in radioactive elements.