Understanding Charge Distribution in a Circuit with Multiple Capacitors

• Thread starter RadiationX
  • Start date
In summary, the battery has a potential difference of V=10V and the five capacitors each have a capacitance of 10 micro Farads. The charge on capacitor 1 and capacitor 2 is 1.6 X 10^-4 couombs.
RadiationX
In the figure given the battery has a potential difference of V=10V and the five capacitors each have a capacitance of 10 micro Farads. What is the charge on (a) capacitor 1 and (b) capacitor 2 ?I totaly know how to redraw the circuit but I don't have a clue as to how the capacitance equivalent relates to the rest of the ciruit. I need some help really bad. I have the soulution in my book but I don't understand it. How do I find these charges?

what I've done so far is find the capacitance equivalent which is
1.6 X 10^-5 Farad. Once I had that I found the total charge 1.6 X 10^-4 Couomb. I'm stuck as to how to continue now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope the people who have looked at my post have looked at the attachment that goes with it.

I tried to look at it but it says "Attachments Pending Approval" and I can't open it.

ughh I dont' know what to do about that.

I see it, but unforutnately I am not good with Circuits.

I do know that the definition of capacitance is [itex]Q/V=C_1 + C_2[/itex]

Capacitors in series are like resistors in parallel. Conversely, capacitors in parallel are like resistors in series.

What you have written is not true in general Kahless2005.

I have found a similar problem in my physics book, the difference is there are only 4 capacitors.

what you should do is find the [itex]1/C_eq[/itex] which would be
[itex]1/((1/(C_1+C_3))+C_4)+1/C_5+1/C_2[/itex]

Then find the [itex]Q_eq[/itex] which is [itex]C_eq*V[/itex]. That should be the charge across all the capacitors

When you do these kinds of problems, you need to understand how to simplify capacitors into equivalent ones. have you learned how to do that yet? parallel capacitors can be made into an equivalent capacitor by adding their capacitance, and series capacitors follow the same rule as resistors in parallel. just go through the problem capacitor by capacitor to get the total capacitance. once you know this, then C= Q/V.

That is wrong kahless2005.

In addition, it would be better for RadiationX to learn how to do this on his/her own.

1. What does it mean when someone says "I'm in so much trouble"?

When someone says "I'm in so much trouble," it typically means that they are facing a difficult or problematic situation and are worried about the consequences.

2. How do people typically respond when someone says "I'm in so much trouble"?

People may respond to someone saying "I'm in so much trouble" with concern, empathy, or a desire to help. They may also ask for more details about the situation or offer advice or solutions.

3. Is saying "I'm in so much trouble" a sign of weakness or vulnerability?

Not necessarily. Saying "I'm in so much trouble" can be a way for someone to express their feelings and ask for support or help in a difficult situation. It takes courage to admit when we are struggling and need assistance.

4. What are some common situations in which people might say "I'm in so much trouble"?

People may say "I'm in so much trouble" when they have made a mistake at work, are facing financial difficulties, are in trouble with the law, or are dealing with a personal crisis. It can also be used humorously in less serious situations.

5. How can I help someone who says "I'm in so much trouble"?

If someone says "I'm in so much trouble," the best way to help is to listen to them without judgment and offer support and assistance if needed. It's important to respect their feelings and try to understand the situation before offering advice or solutions.