Revolutionizing Surgery: Appendix Removal Through the Mouth

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, surgeons at UC San Diego Medical Center performed the country's first removal of a diseased appendix through the mouth, using only one small incision and a camera inserted through the belly button. This approach, approved by the Institutional Review Board, is part of the Center for the Future of Surgery's goal to advance scarless techniques. A similar procedure was also performed through the vagina, with an additional incision made through the belly button. While there are potential risks, this approach could lead to faster post-operative recovery.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The headline sounds like something from a script for a horror movie!

ScienceDaily (Mar. 17, 2008) — On Wednesday, March 12, 2008, surgeons at UC San Diego Medical Center performed what is believed to be the country's first removal of a diseased appendix through the mouth. This clinical trial procedure received approval for a limited number of patients by UC San Diego's Institutional Review Board (IRB) which oversees clinical research.

..."UC San Diego's Center for the Future of Surgery is advancing scarless techniques by investigating, developing, testing, and teaching procedures that will revolutionize the field of surgery," said Horgan, president of the Minimally Invasive Robotics Association and a global leader in scarless procedures.

"Only one small incision to insert a small camera in the belly button was required to complete the surgery versus three incisions required for a laparoscopic procedure," said Horgan. "The patient was discharged 20 hours after surgery and is now reporting minimal pain which is a goal for all of our patients."[continued]
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080317093904.htm

Biology news on Phys.org
Reading this almost triggered my gag reflex, but honestly, I wonder why they didn't do this sooner. It really makes sense, more so in the area of pain and healing.

Hmm...I'm wondering if making an incision through someone's stomach is necessarily better than going in through the abdomen? I'd kind of worry that it would allow more chance of contaminants from the digestive tract out into the peritoneal cavity to cause infection, or leave a patient with later stomach ulcers. Sure, the pain might be less, but does that necessarily mean it's better? I guess they'll have to see how it turns out long-term for these patients if it's really as beneficial as it seems initially. Afterall, I'd rather have some initial post-operative pain over long-term complications due to weakening the stomach wall.

Nonetheless, it's good to see them thinking about finding better approaches to improve post-operative recovery.

On March 26, 2008, surgeons at UC San Diego Medical Center removed an inflamed appendix through a patient's vagina. An additional incision was made through the belly button for the purpose of inserting a two millimeter camera into the abdominal cavity.

Larium said:
On March 26, 2008, surgeons at UC San Diego Medical Center removed an inflamed appendix through a patient's vagina. An additional incision was made through the belly button for the purpose of inserting a two millimeter camera into the abdominal cavity.

Was this deliberate or was the operating table just the wrong way round?

mgb_phys said:
Was this deliberate or was the operating table just the wrong way round?

It's deliberate, and makes more sense than going through the stomach. Other gynecological surgical procedures are performed that way, and it does help minimize recovery time. Though, it's obviously not a very good approach if you're male. :wink:

I'm with you Moonbear, I know it's a risk with any abdo surgery, but the headline the op posted made me think peritonitis.

1. What is "Appendix Removed Via Mouth"?

Appendix Removed Via Mouth, also known as transgastric appendectomy, is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that involves removing the appendix through the mouth instead of the traditional open or laparoscopic surgery methods.

2. How is "Appendix Removed Via Mouth" performed?

The procedure is performed using a specialized endoscope with different attachments, such as a camera and surgical tools, that are inserted through the mouth and into the stomach. The appendix is located and removed through a small incision made in the stomach wall.

3. What are the benefits of "Appendix Removed Via Mouth"?

Transgastric appendectomy has several benefits, including a shorter recovery time, less post-operative pain, and a lower risk of infection and complications compared to traditional open or laparoscopic surgery.

4. Who is a candidate for "Appendix Removed Via Mouth"?

Not all patients are suitable candidates for transgastric appendectomy. The procedure is typically recommended for patients with uncomplicated appendicitis, a BMI under 30, and no history of abdominal surgery or gastrointestinal disorders.

5. What is the success rate of "Appendix Removed Via Mouth"?

The success rate of transgastric appendectomy is comparable to traditional appendectomy methods, with a reported success rate of over 95%. However, the success of the procedure may vary depending on the patient's specific case and the expertise of the surgeon performing the procedure.

Back