Anyone aware of the Physics of Hydrogen Bonding ? Please suggest resources

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of hydrogen bonding and its relation to physics, specifically in the context of a graduate student's research project. The individual was seeking resources and information on the theory and model of hydrogen bonding, as well as a recommendation for a quantum mechanics book that explains covalent bonding and Van der Waals forces. The conversation also touched on dipole physics and the simplicity of Van der Waals forces.
savannas
Anyone aware of the Physics of Hydrogen Bonding ?? Please suggest resources !

Hi everyone,
Am a grad student doing experimental research in an interdisciplinary lab of nanoscience - I am using the concept of hydrogen bonding in some of my experiments. I am planning to present my results to a physics oral exam committe - I am anticipating questions on the 'physics' or atleast the 'theory/model' of hydrogen bonding. I have googled and searched some chemistry textbooks and discussed with my labmates and colleagues. Nobody is aware of the details. I would appreciate if anyone here could recall any quantum/electrodynamics/ any physics concept that might be useful in explaining Hydrogen bonding..
I would also appreciate if anyone could suggest a quantum mechanics book that explains
1. covalent bonding ( u know, sp,sp2,sp3 hybridization)
2. Van der waals forces
in simple way

Thanks a lot
savi

Physics news on Phys.org

Well I don't think I can explain it past the polar bonding. i assume you want a lot more info than that however :uhh:

Van der vaal forces are the simplest. Take N2 the electron density around the N2 molecule is not uniform leading to transitory dipoles forming with the molecule. These dipoles take the conventional form of a tiny positive and negative charge on the atom/molecule. This an example of an Van der Vaals force also know as the London dispersion force.

Another example of Van der Vaals forces is when a non polar atom or molecule approaches a permanent dipole. an induced charge results and therefore an attraction.

I hope this helps.

Thanks nooma, I am satisfied, there is atleast no theory more complicated than that which is too popular ! :approve:
And, bm0p700f, thanks for your suggestion, I will arm myself with some dipole physics from E&M

Thanks anyways
Savi

1. What is the definition of a hydrogen bond?

A hydrogen bond is a type of chemical bond that forms between an electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen, and a hydrogen atom that is covalently bonded to another electronegative atom. It is a relatively weak bond, but it is important in many biological and chemical processes.

2. How does hydrogen bonding affect the physical properties of water?

Hydrogen bonding is responsible for many of the unique properties of water, such as its high boiling point, surface tension, and ability to dissolve many substances. The hydrogen bonds between water molecules create a network that gives water its cohesive and adhesive properties.

3. What are some examples of molecules that exhibit hydrogen bonding?

Some common examples of molecules that exhibit hydrogen bonding include water, ammonia, DNA, and proteins. Hydrogen bonding is also important in the structure of many organic compounds, such as alcohols and carboxylic acids.

4. How does the strength of a hydrogen bond compare to other types of chemical bonds?

Hydrogen bonds are much weaker than covalent and ionic bonds, but they are stronger than van der Waals interactions. The strength of a hydrogen bond depends on the electronegativity of the atoms involved and the distance between them.

5. Can you suggest any resources for learning more about the physics of hydrogen bonding?

Some resources that may be helpful for learning about the physics of hydrogen bonding include textbooks on physical chemistry, online lectures or courses, and scientific articles on the topic. Some recommended books include "Physical Chemistry" by P.W. Atkins and "Introduction to Hydrogen Bonding" by George A. Jeffrey. Additionally, websites such as the Chemistry LibreTexts and the American Chemical Society offer free educational resources on hydrogen bonding.