Model Universe: Calculating Gravitational Info Rate

In summary: However, it's not always easy, as you noted. For example, sometimes the mathematical model doesn't reflect reality very well. Another obstacle is that sometimes it's difficult to find a model that adequately simulates all the various aspects of the universe.
Hippasos
If we were to model the universe can we calculate the gravitational information rate which a particle receives in a universe?

Space news on Phys.org
Well, first one would have to define "gravitational information rate".

Could it be defined like this:

Gravitation information rate = How much data is gathered when calculating the vector sum of the modeled particle (all attractions) in a given time in a modeled universe.

Would the order in which the particles affect each other become problem i.e. how could we handle the causality in our model in a proper way?

Flat out simple answer is that it's impossible to model the universe, so it's an irrelevant question. No offense intended, but a lot of people don't realize that in order to model something, the facility has to be significantly larger than the item being modeled. So what such facility, readily available, is significantly larger than the universe? This is one of my reasons for being an Atheist, but that's beside the point.

Danger said:
... that in order to model something, the facility has to be significantly larger than the item being modeled.

I am not sure I understand the use of the term "facility" or, as a matter of fact, the statement itself. Could you elaborate? For example, if the "item" to be modeled is the solar system (a centuries old problem), what is the "facility"? Thanks.

What I mean is that to perfectly model anything, you have to duplicate it life-size right down to the subatomic particles, and even virtual particles, involved it its structure. The facility (laboratory or factory or whatever) then obviously has to be large enough to house that model with some space left over. To model the universe, the facility therefore has to be larger than the universe itself.

I see.

Danger none taken.

I should have made this a bit clearer. The reason I asked is not if I would like to actually model but to find out how the universe works.

First, off ignore anyone who claims you "you can't do that". That's not how science has ever progressed. Post #6, however, IS valuable because it explains obstacles which must be overcome.

Of course you can model anything you want mathematically. How well it matches the actual situation involved is another matter. That likely involves lots of trial and error, calculations,etc...not an easy task...

Likely there are such models around to start...surely NASA must use such for space travel, for example. The Earth's orbit around the sun for example, likely has little to do with distant galaxies as gravity varies by the inverse square of distance...And likely you could include the effects of a few if necessary by approximating them as a single source. But nearby planets in our own solar system probably do have an effect.

For a particle, I wonder if cosmic microwave background radiation has an effect? Surely particles from our own sun have an effect that must be considered.

On the other hand, I did read about some abberations in planned trajectories of vehicles headed for Mars, I think...am unsure if those were ever sorted out...it would be interesting to know if dark energy and dark matter have any effect on our local orbit...perhaps such effects tend to cancel due to the overall uniformity of the cosmos?

Lots to consider...

Hippasos said:
Danger none taken.
The reason I asked is not if I would like to actually model but to find out how the universe works.

Ahhh... I see. Well, we all want that, and a few PF members pursue that information professionally. It's going to take a while, though. :biggrin:

I presume by "model" he means model mathematically. That is certainly possible, and is what a lot of people try to do!

1. What is the Model Universe and how is it related to gravitational info rate?

The Model Universe is a scientific model used to simulate and study the behavior of the universe. It is related to gravitational info rate because it takes into account the effects of gravity on celestial bodies and how they interact with each other.

2. How is gravitational info rate calculated in the Model Universe?

Gravitational info rate is calculated using the formula: I = (G x m1 x m2) / r^2, where I is the gravitational info rate, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the gravitational info rate in the Model Universe?

The gravitational info rate in the Model Universe is affected by the masses of the celestial bodies involved, the distance between them, and the strength of the gravitational force, which is dependent on the gravitational constant.

4. Can the gravitational info rate in the Model Universe be changed?

Yes, the gravitational info rate in the Model Universe can be changed by altering the parameters in the formula used to calculate it. This can be done to simulate different scenarios and study the effects of varying gravitational info rates on celestial bodies.

5. What is the significance of studying gravitational info rate in the Model Universe?

Studying gravitational info rate in the Model Universe can help scientists better understand the behavior of the universe and how celestial bodies interact with each other. It can also aid in predicting and explaining astronomical phenomena, such as the formation of galaxies and the motion of planets.