Moving electrons: magnetic and electric fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of electric and magnetic fields in a line of moving electrons. While there is definitely a magnetic field, it is unclear if the electric field is also present or replaced by the magnetic field. It is noted that both fields can exist simultaneously in certain situations.
ninjadrummer8
Ok I have a general question. Say I have a bunch of electrons moving in a line, not in a wire, but I guess it could be looked at as if it was in a wire.

This is my question: So if i picked a point outside of this line of moving electrons, would I find an electric field?

I know that there is a magnetic field for sure, and I know that if the electrons were NOT moving, that there would be an electric field. What I'm not sure of is if the magnetic field replaces the electric field or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

You can have both kinds of fields simultaneously.

If you consider bunches of electrons traveling at (nearly) the speed of light in a vacuum tube (for example at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center), the bunched structure of the electrons gives rise to electric fields. The same is true for a certain class of microwave electron tubes called klystrons.

1. What is the difference between magnetic and electric fields?

Magnetic fields are created by moving charged particles and can exert a force on other moving charged particles. Electric fields, on the other hand, are created by stationary charged particles and can exert a force on other stationary charged particles.

2. How do magnetic and electric fields interact?

Magnetic and electric fields can interact with each other through a phenomenon called electromagnetic induction. This occurs when a changing magnetic field induces an electric field, and vice versa.

3. What is the role of electrons in magnetic and electric fields?

Electrons are essential for the creation of both magnetic and electric fields. Moving electrons create magnetic fields, while stationary electrons create electric fields.

4. How do magnetic and electric fields affect the motion of electrons?

Magnetic fields can cause charged particles, such as electrons, to change direction or spin. Electric fields can accelerate or decelerate charged particles, affecting their overall motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic and electric fields?

Magnetic and electric fields are used in a wide range of applications, including MRI machines, electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. They also play a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices such as computers, cell phones, and televisions.