Concentration of photons in a beam of light

In summary: But one can also argue that no photodiode is 100% efficient.Still, that is what we use to quantify the quantum efficiency of photocathodes/photodectors, etc.If photons have a spatial size, then determining their quantum efficiency becomes difficult. If they don't have a spatial size, then it is difficult to determine how many photons are in a beam of light or how they are distributed.
taylaron
Gold Member
Hi, I've been pondering over the properties of a beam of light and I'm curious if the concentration of photons in eg. a laser beam can be calculated.
To elaborate on this question, let me ask if we can calculate the number of photons in a beam of light x distance long with a given cross section size.

when I think of a beam of light, I get the notion that the photons that make up the beam are not end-to-end. or are they? when I say end-top-end I refer to the similarities of a liquid compared to a gas.
-I'll stop here for now.

Regards-

Tay

Science news on Phys.org
You can do that by determining the energy of the beam
E=nhf
where n is the number of photons

Hi there,

I don't really get your end-to-end comment.

Cheers

taylaron said:
Hi, I've been pondering over the properties of a beam of light and I'm curious if the concentration of photons in eg. a laser beam can be calculated.
To elaborate on this question, let me ask if we can calculate the number of photons in a beam of light x distance long with a given cross section size.

when I think of a beam of light, I get the notion that the photons that make up the beam are not end-to-end. or are they? when I say end-top-end I refer to the similarities of a liquid compared to a gas.
-I'll stop here for now.

Regards-

Tay

1. Assuming that you have a ~monochromatic source, take a photodiode, and measure the beam power. This will tell you the energy per unit time that is striking the photodiode over that cross section (assuming you have the full cross section striking the photodiode).

2. You know that E=hf, i.e. the energy per photon, for that particular frequency.

3. It should be straightforward to find # of photon striking the surface per unit time within that cross section.

Zz.

And *x/c

Last edited:
Andy Resnick said:
Actually, it's not so simple- photon number is non-conserved, and the photon number and field amplitude are noncommuting variables. For an interesting discussion, see:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/photon/

But one can also argue that no photodiode is 100% efficient.

Still, that is what we use to quantify the quantum efficiency of photocathodes/photodectectors, etc.

Zz.

fatra2 said:
Hi there,

I don't really get your end-to-end comment.

Cheers

the end-to-end comment refers to how particles can be touching one another or how they can be separated by space. similar to a liquid compared to a gas.

----------

Now that we've established that it is possible (within some accuracy) to count the number of energetic photons per unit time, length, cross section size and intensity I am going to evolve my question into some thing more complex.

Is there a maximum number of photons per unit distance at a given intensity and cross section size? let me rephrase: "is there a maximum intensity of a laser?"
-im thinking about photons in a physical sense (although probably incorrect) being back-to-back. Possibly defining the maximum intensity of a laser beam.
any thoughts?

Regards,
-Tay

taylaron said:
-im thinking about photons in a physical sense (although probably incorrect) being back-to-back. Possibly defining the maximum intensity of a laser beam.

I don't think it is meaningful to describe a photon as having a spatial size in the sense that you want to use it here. Try searching the quantum physics forum here for threads about "photon size." I know it's been discussed there several times in the past.

ZapperZ said:
But one can also argue that no photodiode is 100% efficient.

Still, that is what we use to quantify the quantum efficiency of photocathodes/photodectectors, etc.

Zz.

I don't understand what you mean.

Andy Resnick said:
I don't understand what you mean.

1. "But one can also argue that no photodiode is 100% efficient."

By using a photodiode to measure the power of the light source, I'm assuming that the photodiode is 100% efficient. There is no such thing. So one doesn't have to go to the extent of arguing the photon number isn't conserved. The instrumentation itself already has a higher degree of error than worrying about photon number conservation.

2. "Still, that is what we use to quantify the quantum efficiency of photocathodes/photodectectors, etc."

Photodiodes, photodetector, photocathodes, etc.. all have what is known as a quantum efficiency. How many electrons comes out for the number of incoming photons. This is a common number. Hammamatsu uses this in their specs, for example. So obviously, even with the fact that we don't have anything that has 100% QE, such technique of measuring # of photons and determining its QE is still quite valid and useful.

Zz.

I guess I didn't understand why you said those sentences in response to my comment where I summarize the "photons, schmotons" thread...

I don't see how detection and detectors relate to the statement "photon number and field amplitude are noncommuting variables".

1. What is the concentration of photons in a beam of light?

The concentration, or intensity, of photons in a beam of light refers to the number of photons present in a given area or volume. It is typically measured in units of photons per square centimeter or photons per cubic centimeter.

2. How is the concentration of photons in a beam of light calculated?

The concentration of photons in a beam of light can be calculated by dividing the total number of photons in the beam by the area or volume over which the photons are spread. This can also be expressed as the product of the beam's power and the reciprocal of the area or volume.

3. What factors affect the concentration of photons in a beam of light?

The concentration of photons in a beam of light can be affected by several factors, including the power of the light source, the size and shape of the beam, and the distance from the source to the area or volume being measured. Additionally, the concentration may be influenced by the presence of any obstructions or scattering materials in the beam's path.

4. How does the concentration of photons in a beam of light relate to its brightness?

The concentration of photons in a beam of light is directly related to its brightness. A higher concentration of photons means a brighter beam, while a lower concentration results in a dimmer beam. This relationship is described by the inverse-square law, which states that the intensity of a beam of light is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

5. Can the concentration of photons in a beam of light be changed?

Yes, the concentration of photons in a beam of light can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as adjusting the power of the light source or changing the size and shape of the beam. Additionally, the use of lenses or mirrors can manipulate the concentration of photons by focusing or spreading the beam. However, the total number of photons in a beam cannot be changed, only the concentration can be adjusted.