Signal Transduction: How Sex Cells Navigate to Their Destination

In summary, the acrosome reaction is a process in which the sperm releases enzymes to penetrate the outer membranes of the egg, and is triggered by a molecule in the egg's surface coat. This process allows the sperm to reach the egg's cell membrane and fertilize it.
kronecker
i just learn that before a lady have an embryo in her body, one male sex cell swims into her egg, but right before entering, the cell will cut itself its tail and destroy its head, only the part containing dna falls into the middle of the egg. i am wondering how can the that sex cell knows it already comes to its destination such that it can cut its tail ? if it can signal and receive signals from egg, can you please give me details the that signals too? :wink:
thank you very much

--sorry for my bad english--

Biology news on Phys.org
The tail stays on the sperm while it is entering the egg, to help propel it as it penetrates the outer membranes. There is a reaction that takes place when the sperm encounters the egg due to an interaction of proteins on the surface of the cells. This does cause changes to the sperm so enzymes are released to help it penetrate into the egg. Look up "acrosome reaction" for more information about that.

Acrosomes

Moonbear said:
There is a reaction that takes place when the sperm encounters the egg due to an interaction of proteins on the surface of the cells. This does cause changes to the sperm so enzymes are released to help it penetrate into the egg. Look up "acrosome reaction" for more information about that.
Thanks for that explanation, Moonbear. I found some more information on acrosomes (on a http://www.bioproject.info/subclass_placental_mammals/order_primates/types_of_primates/humans/anatomy/reproductive_system/fertilization.html where, happily, the entire Microsoft Encarta article on fertilization is plagiarized):

• The third step is a complex process in which the sperm penetrate the egg’s surface coat. The head, or front end, of the sperm of almost all animals except fish contains an acrosome, a membrane-enclosed compartment. The acrosome releases proteins that dissolve the surface coat of an egg of the same species.

In mammals, a molecule of the egg’s surface coat triggers the sperm's acrosome to explosively release its contents onto the surface coat, where the proteins dissolve a tiny hole. A single sperm is then able to make a slitlike channel in the surface coat, through which it swims to reach the egg's cell membrane.

I'm glad you were able to find a website with a simplified explanation. Everything I found was very technical, so I didn't post it...since kronecker was apologizing for his/her English, I didn't think references with a lot of technical terms would be very understandable.

What is signal transduction?

Signal transduction is the process by which cells receive and interpret signals from their environment, and then respond to those signals. It involves a series of molecular events that ultimately lead to changes in the behavior or function of the cell.

Why is signal transduction important in the context of sex cell navigation?

Signal transduction plays a crucial role in guiding sex cells, or gametes, to their destination for fertilization. These cells must navigate through complex environments and respond to various signals in order to reach their target. Understanding the mechanisms of signal transduction can provide insight into how gametes are able to successfully reach their destination.

How do sex cells navigate to their destination?

Sex cells navigate to their destination through a process called chemotaxis, which is the movement of cells in response to chemical signals. In the case of sex cells, these chemical signals are released by the female reproductive tract and guide the cells towards the egg.

What are some key signaling pathways involved in sex cell navigation?

Some key signaling pathways involved in sex cell navigation include the cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) pathway and the phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K) pathway. These pathways are activated by the chemical signals released by the female reproductive tract and help guide the sex cells towards the egg.

How does understanding signal transduction in sex cells have potential applications in fertility treatments?

Understanding signal transduction in sex cells can provide valuable insights for fertility treatments. By understanding the mechanisms involved in guiding sex cells to their destination, researchers may be able to develop more effective methods for promoting fertilization in cases of infertility. Additionally, targeting specific signaling pathways may also be a potential therapeutic approach for enhancing fertility.