Need help with motion: equations by rote and applying equations

• Thread starter HeLiXe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the speaker is having trouble with 1 and 2D motion equations in their Physics class and is struggling to memorize them. They have been able to solve problems without the equations, but have lost points for not showing their work with the equations. They are seeking tips and sources for better understanding these equations. A fellow member recommends a list of equations and the hyperphysics website for explanations. The speaker is already finding the information helpful.
HeLiXe
I'm not sure if this should go here, so if it needs to be moved, please feel free to do so.

I really need some help, and I hope the following post makes sense.

I am currently taking Physics I with Calculus and am having some problems. I absolutely cannot remember the kinematic equations, but am able to derive some of them. Also I get so confused when applying the equations, but I can get the answers for the problems by thinking through them. I was asking one of my classmates for help with this today and she could not understand how on Earth I'm solving these things without the equations. This is really problematic because of course I need to learn how to solve things using the equations, and although I am getting the answers correct, I have gotten points deducted because of the equations not being present in my work. I'm doing fine with vectors, circular motion and the other things we have learned, but I have trouble with 1 and 2D motion.

We are going over some quantum mechanics in my chemistry class and I have internalized almost all of the equations and constants, so I really don't know why 1 and 2D motion is not registering! To me the problems seem like things I have been solving without the equations for some time now.

Are there any tips you can give for memorizing these equations or any sources that give thorough explanations about 1 and 2d motion? I have tried some of the pdf files we have in the learning tools section, KhanAcademy, physicsclassroom, and a few other university sites.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much Doc Al :) I am looking at the links you gave and I will let you know if this fixes the glitch in my brain :smile:
Edit:
Yes this is helpful already. I always wondered how this equation was derived

displacement & time:
x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2
The site you gave explains it.
Thank you so much!

1. What are the basic equations for motion?

The basic equations for motion are the equations of motion, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These equations are:
- Displacement: Δx = xf - xi
- Velocity: v = Δx/Δt
- Acceleration: a = Δv/Δt
- Time: t = Δt

2. What are the equations used for constant acceleration?

The equations used for constant acceleration are the kinematic equations, which are derived from the equations of motion. These equations are:
- Δx = xi + vit + 0.5at2
- v = vi + at
- v2 = vi2 + 2aΔx
- Δx = (vi + v)/2 * t

3. How do I apply these equations to solve motion problems?

To apply these equations to solve motion problems, you need to identify the known and unknown variables in the problem. Then, choose the appropriate equation(s) to solve for the unknown variable. Make sure to use consistent units and pay attention to the direction of motion. Substitute the known values into the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

4. Can these equations be used for objects with non-constant acceleration?

Yes, these equations can still be used for objects with non-constant acceleration. However, the values for acceleration and velocity may change over time. In this case, you will need to use calculus to find the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration as functions of time.

5. Are these equations applicable to all types of motion?

These equations are applicable to linear motion, where an object moves in a straight line. They can also be applied to rotational motion, as long as the object's motion can be described using a linear distance, velocity, and acceleration. However, they may not be applicable to complex motions, such as circular or projectile motion, which require additional equations and concepts to be considered.