Perfectly elastic collisions

In summary: Daniel.You must be making an error here. If you eliminate v_fp, then you'll get a quadratic equation with v_fc. Do it over.
Xerxes1986
A proton is traveling to the right at 2.0E7 m/s. It has a head-on perfectly elastic collision with a carbon atom. The mass of the carbon atom is 12 times the mass of the proton. What are the speeds of each after the collision?

i was trying to tinker with the fact that the KE before and after the collision will be equal and so will be the momentum. but when i solve the equation i get 5773502 m/s but it doesn't work...i don't know how to even start this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a trick here.v/c~1/15,sot the errors in chosing Newton's dynamics to Einstein's one is less than 1%.If you're not interested in accuracy,you might chose the simpler framework offered by nonrelativistic physics.

What's the intial velocity of the C atom...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
There's a trick here.v/c~1/15,sot the errors in chosing Newton's dynamics to Einstein's one is less than 1%.If you're not interested in accuracy,you might chose the simpler framework offered by nonrelativistic physics.

What's the intial velocity of the C atom...?

Daniel.

ok that just flew right over my head...einstein? umm how bout a simple solution? lol this is supposed to be simple...

the C atom isn't moving when the proton hits it

Perfect.Then apply the laws of conservation of KE and momentum...Write the latter in vector form and choose the axis of movement as the axis of projection with the positive sense being the sense of the initial proton's velocity.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Perfect.Then apply the laws of conservation of KE and momentum...Write the latter in vector form and choose the axis of movement as the axis of projection with the positive sense being the sense of the initial proton's velocity.

Daniel.
i tried but i getg like some really REALLY weird equation that doesn't work...what equations should i try to manipulate around

dextercioby said:
Post the 2 equations.

Daniel.

lol ill try

.5*m_p*2E7^2=.5*m_p*v_fp^2 + .5*12m_p*v_fc^2

and

m_p*2E7=m_p*v_fp + 12m_p*v_fc

and then substitute right? well i got a equation with v_fc^4 in it and it has 4 roots...none of which are the right anser

The system:

[tex] 12(v_{C}^{fin})^{2}+(v_{p}^{fin})^{2}=(v_{p}^{init})^{2} [/tex]

[tex] 12v_{C}^{fin}+v_{p}^{fin}=v_{p}^{init} [/tex]

has the physically acceptable sollutions

[tex] v_{C}^{fin}\approx 3\cdot 10^6 \ m \ s^{-1} [/tex]

[tex] v_{p}^{fin}\approx -1.7\cdot 10^{7} \ m \ s^{-1} [/tex]

Can u convince yourself of the validity of these answers?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
The system:

[tex] 12(v_{C}^{fin})^{2}+(v_{p}^{fin})^{2}=(v_{p}^{init})^{2} [/tex]

[tex] 12v_{C}^{fin}+v_{p}^{fin}=v_{p}^{init} [/tex]

has the physically acceptable sollutions

[tex] v_{C}^{fin}\approx 3\cdot 10^6 \ m \ s^{-1} [/tex]

[tex] v_{p}^{fin}\approx -1.7\cdot 10^{7} \ m \ s^{-1} [/tex]

Can u convince yourself of the validity of these answers?

Daniel.

i don't know howyou got them but the v_c one isn't right because when i enter it it says "your close but your answer is off...rounding error or something"

Rounding error...?That's bull****.The next figure after 3 is 0...Anyway,to get the full #,solve the system.It's basically a quadratic that u must solve,the only problem being that it has quite large coefficients.

Daniel.

Xerxes1986 said:
lol ill try

.5*m_p*2E7^2=.5*m_p*v_fp^2 + .5*12m_p*v_fc^2

and

m_p*2E7=m_p*v_fp + 12m_p*v_fc
So far, so good.

and then substitute right? well i got a equation with v_fc^4 in it and it has 4 roots...none of which are the right anser
You must be making an error here. If you eliminate v_fp, then you'll get a quadratic equation with v_fc. Do it over.

1. What is a perfectly elastic collision?

A perfectly elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In other words, the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

2. How is a perfectly elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to deformation of the objects involved or the production of heat or sound. This means that the total energy after the collision is less than the total energy before the collision. In a perfectly elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects bounce off each other with the same velocity they had before the collision.

3. What are some common examples of perfectly elastic collisions?

Some common examples of perfectly elastic collisions are collisions between gas molecules, collisions between billiard balls on a pool table, and collisions between rubber balls on a hard surface. In these scenarios, the objects involved are able to bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to perfectly elastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In perfectly elastic collisions, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, indicating that there is no loss of kinetic energy. In other types of collisions, the coefficient of restitution will be less than 1, representing the amount of energy lost in the collision.

5. Are there any real-world examples of perfectly elastic collisions?

In reality, perfectly elastic collisions are rare because there is usually some energy lost due to factors such as friction, heat, or deformation. However, in the microscopic world of atoms and molecules, collisions between gas particles can be considered perfectly elastic since there is very little energy loss. Additionally, some high-speed collisions in particle accelerators can also be considered perfectly elastic.