Gravitational potential energy and Kinetic Energy

In summary: However, the total energy of the system will still remain constant, as per the law of conservation of energy.In summary, potential energy can transform into kinetic energy in the case of an orbiting object, but only if the distance from the massive body changes. In a circular orbit, the distance remains constant and therefore the total energy of the system does not change. Therefore, the law of conservation of energy is not contradicted.
minijumbuk
Pe = Potential energy
Ke = kinetic energy

i want to clear up some confusion in me...
firstly...it is true to say that potential energy transforms into kinetic energy as an object...correct?

then the definition of an ORBIT is constantly falling around a planet, non-stop...

therefore, Poetential energy is constantly being transformed into kinetic energy
and an orbit is continuous and will never stop unless an external force acts upon it. i.e. the Pe will continue to transform into Ke for all eternity, which also implies there is infinite Potential energy...which contradicts the law of conservation of energy...

o_O i know Pe can be calculated by the height from which it is above the center of earth, but that is not the point...

so is there anything wrong with waht i said? or have i proved physics contradictory?

Physics news on Phys.org
minijumbuk said:
Pe = Potential energy
Ke = kinetic energy

i want to clear up some confusion in me...
firstly...it is true to say that potential energy transforms into kinetic energy as an object...correct?
It's certainly true that PE can often be transformed into KE--just drop a ball.

then the definition of an ORBIT is constantly falling around a planet, non-stop...
I presume you mean "falling" compared to the satellite's path if the planet wasn't there--the planet and satellite exert forces on each other. The orbiting satellite is constantly changing the direction of its motion, not necessarily its distance to the planet.

therefore, Poetential energy is constantly being transformed into kinetic energy
and an orbit is continuous and will never stop unless an external force acts upon it. i.e. the Pe will continue to transform into Ke for all eternity, which also implies there is infinite Potential energy...which contradicts the law of conservation of energy...
Sorry... I don't get what you're saying. What makes you think that an orbiting satellite is constantly losing PE and gaining KE? Only if it's crashing into the planet! In a circular orbit, for example, the PE and KE of the system remain the same.

o_O i know Pe can be calculated by the height from which it is above the center of earth, but that is not the point...
I'm afraid that is the point. If the distance between satellite and planet doesn't change, neither does their combined gravitational PE.

Usually, the distance between a satellite and a planet do change. When the distance diminishes Pe diminishes and is transformed in Ke, conversely, when the distance increases, it is the Ke which transforms in Pe. Total energy does not change, unless others forces intervene (e.g. friction with the atmosphere).

Understand that neither the distance from the planet nor the speed of the satellite changes. This then implies that both the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy do not change. Yes, it is correct to say that the satellite is constantly falling, but since it doesn't actually get closer to the planet, the gravitational potential energy doesn't change. It is not the act of falling which changes the potential energy, but the act of moving closer to the planet, which the satellite doesn't do. Hence, its gravitational potential energy of the satellite doesn't change.

Hope this helped.

Doc Al said:
Sorry... I don't get what you're saying. What makes you think that an orbiting satellite is constantly losing PE and gaining KE? Only if it's crashing into the planet! In a circular orbit, for example, the PE and KE of the system remain the same.

To this I would just add one other noteworthy detail (hopefully not confusing anyone in the process). Gravitational potential energy depends on an object's distance from a massive body. In a circular orrbit this distance never changes. But in the case of an elliptical or parabolic orbit, the satellite's distance from the massive body does change, and along with it, so does the gravitational potential energy. This energy goes into the kinetic energy of the satellite. As a result, a satellite will travel faster when it is closer to the massive body that it is orbiting, and slower when it is farther away.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work as a result of its position above the ground.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is the energy that is required to accelerate an object from rest to its current velocity.

4. How is kinetic energy related to gravitational potential energy?

Kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy are two forms of mechanical energy. They are related in the sense that as an object falls, its gravitational potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases, and vice versa.

5. Can gravitational potential energy be converted into kinetic energy?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa. As an object falls, its gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and when it reaches the ground, all of its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.