Solving Integral of dt/ (√(t^2 -6t + 13) with Trig Substitution

In summary, the integral of dt/ (√(t^2 -6t + 13) can be solved by completing the square to get (t-3)^2 + 4, substituting v = t-3, and using trig substitution to get ∫(2sec^2(θ)dθ / 2√(tan^2(θ) +1). This can be simplified to ∫ (sec^2(θ)/ secθ)dθ = ln|secθ +tanθ| = ln|(√v^2+4)/2 + v/2|, which can be further simplified to ∫ dt/ (√(t^2 -6t + 13) =
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Integral of dt/ (√(t^2 -6t + 13)

Homework Equations

I sub
v = t-3, and v = 2tan(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

first I completed the square of t^2 -6t + 13, I got (t-3)^2 +4

Also I say v = t-3
∫ dv/ (√(v^2 +4)
I then sub in trig

∫(2sec^2(θ)dθ / 2√(tan^2(θ) +1) = ∫ (sec^2(θ)/ secθ)dθ

= ln|secθ +tanθ| = ln|(√v^2+4)/2 + v/2| edit sec here
= ln| √((t-3)^2 +4/2) + (t-3)/2| +c
I feel it isn't correct. What did I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you did was write ##\sec\theta## in terms of ##v## incorrectly.

OK, I fixed it. I flipped it back it was OK on my paper just not when I rewrote it on the forum.

Try differentiating your result and seeing if you recover the integrand. That's the easiest way to check your answer.

1. What is "integral trouble trig"?

"Integral trouble trig" refers to the difficulties that can arise when trying to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. These difficulties can include complex calculations and the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

2. Why is solving integrals with trigonometric functions challenging?

Solving integrals with trigonometric functions can be challenging because of the many properties and identities that must be considered, as well as the complex nature of trigonometric functions themselves. It requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. What are some common strategies for solving integrals with trigonometric functions?

Some common strategies for solving integrals with trigonometric functions include using trigonometric identities, substitution, and integration by parts. It is also important to have a good understanding of the properties of trigonometric functions and how they behave in different situations.

4. Can technology be used to solve integrals with trigonometric functions?

Yes, technology such as calculators and computer software can be used to solve integrals with trigonometric functions. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in order to use technology effectively.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving integrals with trigonometric functions?

Solving integrals with trigonometric functions is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate areas, volumes, and other important quantities in real-world problems involving trigonometric functions.