Fibonacci Sequence converge exercise

In summary, the Fibonacci sequence is denoted by Fn and the sequence un is given by un= Fn+1/Fn. It can be shown that mod(un - \phi) \leq\frac{1}{\phi}mod(un-1-\phi) and therefore mod(un - \phi) \leq \frac{1}{\phin-1}[/itex]mod(u1-\phi). This ultimately leads to the conclusion that un converges to \phi as n-1 approaches infinity. This can be proven using the identity \phi = 1+ \frac{1}{\phi} and by repeatedly picking up a factor of \phi^{-1} until a multiple of |u_1 -
Calabi_Yau
Let Fn denote the Fibonacci sequence.
un is the sequence given by: un= Fn+1/Fn. Show that mod(un - [itex]\phi[/itex]) [itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\phi}[/itex]mod(un-1-[itex]\phi[/itex]) and therefore mod(un - [itex]\phi[/itex]) [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{\phin-1}[/itex][/itex]mod(u1-[itex]\phi[/itex]) and then conclude un converges to [itex]\phi[/itex]

I have tried with the identity [itex]\phi[/itex] = 1+ [itex]\frac{1}{\phi}[/itex] if anything came to light... And I tried dividing the mods but it got even more complicated.

I can prove from the seocnd equation that un converges to [itex]\phi[/itex] as n-1 converges to infinity and thus 1/+inf =0, the right side becomes zero and we get mod(un - [itex]\phi[/itex]) [itex]\leq[/itex]0 which is the definiton of convergence. But I can't get from the first equation to the second. I don't know how to pass from un-1 to u1 and the part of the [itex]\phi[/itex]n-1. Can someone shed some light on this issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calabi_Yau said:
Let Fn denote the Fibonacci sequence.
un is the sequence given by: un= Fn+1/Fn. Show that mod(un - [itex]\phi[/itex]) [itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\phi}[/itex]mod(un-1-[itex]\phi[/itex]) and therefore mod(un - [itex]\phi[/itex]) [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{\phin-1}[/itex][/itex]mod(u1-[itex]\phi[/itex]) and then conclude un converges to [itex]\phi[/itex]

I have tried with the identity [itex]\phi[/itex] = 1+ [itex]\frac{1}{\phi}[/itex] if anything came to light... And I tried dividing the mods but it got even more complicated.

I can prove from the seocnd equation that un converges to [itex]\phi[/itex] as n-1 converges to infinity and thus 1/+inf =0, the right side becomes zero and we get mod(un - [itex]\phi[/itex]) [itex]\leq[/itex]0 which is the definiton of convergence. But I can't get from the first equation to the second. I don't know how to pass from un-1 to u1 and the part of the [itex]\phi[/itex]n-1. Can someone shed some light on this issue?

We have
[tex]
|u_n - \phi| \leq \frac{1}{\phi} |u_{n-1} - \phi|
[/tex]
But since this is true for all n, we also have
[tex]
|u_n - \phi| \leq \frac{1}{\phi} |u_{n-1} - \phi| \leq \frac{1}{\phi} \frac{1}{\phi} |u_{n-2} - \phi| = \frac{1}{\phi^2} |u_{n-2} - \phi|
[/tex]
and we can clearly keep going, picking up a factor of [itex]\phi^{-1}[/itex] each time, until we have a multiple of [itex]|u_1 - \phi|[/itex] on the right.

Hmm, I didn't see that pattern. That is the same as making n-1=p and then doing the same for up and up-1.

Nice, thank you :)

1. What is the Fibonacci Sequence?

The Fibonacci Sequence is a mathematical pattern where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. The sequence continues infinitely as follows: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, and so on.

2. How does the Fibonacci Sequence converge exercise work?

The Fibonacci Sequence converge exercise involves taking a set of numbers and finding the average of the last two numbers in the sequence. This average is then added to the sequence, and the process is repeated until the numbers in the sequence converge or become very close to each other.

3. Why is the Fibonacci Sequence important?

The Fibonacci Sequence is important because it appears frequently in nature and has many real-world applications. It can be seen in the branching of trees, the arrangement of leaves on a stem, and even in the spiral patterns of shells and galaxies. It is also used in various fields such as finance, computer science, and art.

4. How is the Fibonacci Sequence related to the golden ratio?

The golden ratio is a mathematical concept that is closely related to the Fibonacci Sequence. When two consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci Sequence are divided, the result is very close to the golden ratio of 1.618. This ratio is considered aesthetically pleasing and is often seen in art and architecture.

5. Can the Fibonacci Sequence be applied to other number sequences?

Yes, the concept of the Fibonacci Sequence can be applied to other number sequences. For example, instead of starting with 0 and 1, the sequence could start with any two numbers and continue following the same pattern. This is known as a generalization of the Fibonacci Sequence.