Symbolic manipulation inside integral

In summary, the speaker, an undergraduate student who has completed the standard calculus sequence, is struggling to understand the symbolic manipulation of differential elements in meaningful integrations. They are looking for a recommendation on how to better understand this concept. The person they are speaking with explains that these manipulations are a physicist's method of calculation and are not necessarily rigorous. They suggest thinking of the differentials as small, non-zero numbers to understand why the manipulations work.
RustyDoorknobs
I'm an undergrad who has just completed the standard calculus sequence (1, 2, and multivariable). I've done well in the courses, however, things like the following, which is a derivation of kinetic energy, still confuse me:

3SgqZ.png

Taken from here.

I want to understand the symbolic manipulation that often occurs when making meaningful integrations. I was taught that the ending 'dx' term simply signifies the variable to be integrated over. However, it is commonly used, for example, as a term to cancel things out. In general, I see a lot of symbolic manipulation with differential elements that I want to understand. Could you recommend something I could read to better understand this stuff?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
These manipulations are basically the physicist's way to do it. A mathematician would perhaps chide you for treating the differential for something it's not technically meant to do.

In those expressions, think of the d's as deltas, so you are dealing with a finite change and then the derivatives give you averages. Then hopefully at the end of the calculation you can take a smooth limit and make the expression make sense. :)

Matterwave said:
These manipulations are basically the physicist's way to do it. A mathematician would perhaps chide you for treating the differential for something it's not technically meant to do.

In those expressions, think of the d's as deltas, so you are dealing with a finite change and then the derivatives give you averages. Then hopefully at the end of the calculation you can take a smooth limit and make the expression make sense. :)

Ok, I'm understanding more.

Could you explain how the dt's cancel out when dp/dt * v dt becomes dp * v? Are the differentials considered as numbers in these manipulations?

Thanks for your reply.

RustyDoorknobs said:
Ok, I'm understanding more.

Could you explain how the dt's cancel out when dp/dt * v dt becomes dp * v? Are the differentials considered as numbers in these manipulations?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, they are considered as "small numbers" by physicists. Just think of the dt's as small, but non-zero numbers, and you'll get why the manipulations work out. Of course, at some point some rigor should be introduced into the argument, but for many physicists this is good enough.

1. What is symbolic manipulation inside an integral?

Symbolic manipulation inside an integral refers to the process of manipulating algebraic expressions within an integral. This can involve techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions to simplify the expression and make it easier to integrate.

2. Why is symbolic manipulation important in integration?

Symbolic manipulation is important in integration because it allows us to solve more complex integrals that cannot be solved using basic integration rules. By manipulating the algebraic expressions within the integral, we can often make the integration process more manageable and find a solution.

3. How do I know when to use symbolic manipulation in integration?

Knowing when to use symbolic manipulation in integration comes with practice and experience. Generally, if the integral involves complicated algebraic expressions or multiple terms, it is a good idea to try using symbolic manipulation to simplify the expression before attempting to integrate.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for symbolic manipulation inside integrals?

Yes, there are several rules and guidelines for symbolic manipulation inside integrals that can help make the process easier. These include the u-substitution rule, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to also follow the standard rules of algebra and calculus when manipulating expressions.

5. Can symbolic manipulation be used in definite integrals?

Yes, symbolic manipulation can be used in definite integrals. In fact, it is often necessary to use symbolic manipulation in definite integrals, especially when evaluating integrals with bounds that involve multiple terms or variables. The same rules and guidelines for symbolic manipulation in indefinite integrals also apply to definite integrals.