Fictitious force and accelerating airplane

In summary, a person is standing in an airplane that is accelerating to the right. The fictitious force points horizontally to the left, and two other forces are acting: the normal force, which acts perpendicularly to the floor, and the weight force, which acts straight downward. If the plane is accelerating on a horizontal runway, nothing acts at an angle; if its accelerating at an angle while in flight, as you noted, the weight of the person acts down, the normal force acts at an angle (perpendicular to the floor), friction acts parallel to the floor.
hotcommodity
[SOLVED] Fictitious force and accelerating airplane

Homework Statement

The question asks me to draw a free body diagram for a person standing in an accelerating airplane, and to indicate the fictitious force and any real forces acting on them. The airplane accelerates at 2.22 m/s^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

If the airplane accelerates to the right, I know that the fictitious force (ma) will point horizontally to the left. I know that two other forces will be acting, the normal and weight forces, and that one of them ought to act at an angle. We've been taught that the normal force always acts perpendicularly to a surface, and that the weight force always acts straight downward, so I'm not sure with one will act at an angle and why.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hotcommodity said:

Homework Statement

The question asks me to draw a free body diagram for a person standing in an accelerating airplane, and to indicate the fictitious force and any real forces acting on them. The airplane accelerates at 2.22 m/s^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

If the airplane accelerates to the right, I know that the fictitious force (ma) will point horizontally to the left. I know that two other forces will be acting, the normal and weight forces, and that one of them ought to act at an angle. We've been taught that the normal force always acts perpendicularly to a surface, and that the weight force always acts straight downward, so I'm not sure with one will act at an angle and why.

Any help is appreciated.
you forgot the friction force. Without friction, the person won't be standing very long. Unless she's holding on to the overhead luggage racks.

You're right I was just thinking that, haha. Any idea on which force acts at an angle tho'?

hotcommodity said:
You're right I was just thinking that, haha. Any idea on which force acts at an angle tho'?
If the plane is accelerating on a horizontal runway, nothing acts at an angle; if its accelerating at an angle while in flight, as you noted, the weight of the person acts down, the normal force acts at an angle (perpendicular to the floor), friction acts parallel to the floor.

So this particular example is not analogous to a mass hanging from a string within the airplane, in which case the tension would act at an angle? The problem goes on to ask what angle a plant would grow at if the plane accelerated long enough...I'm not sure why the problem would give me a value that I couldn't apply...

hotcommodity said:
So this particular example is not analogous to a mass hanging from a string within the airplane, in which case the tension would act at an angle? The problem goes on to ask what angle a plant would grow at if the plane accelerated long enough...I'm not sure why the problem would give me a value that I couldn't apply...
Oh , that's different. In the first case, assuming accelerating level flight, friction applies
the person's acceleration; in the rope case, it is the horizontal component of the tension that provides the acceleration. Draw a FBD of the plant to identify the angle. (Assume the plant's roots supply the tension force, as if it were supported on a string). Assume level flight, please.

Ok, thanks for you help :)

Q: What is a fictitious force?

A: A fictitious force is a perceived force that appears to act on an object due to its motion in a non-inertial frame of reference, but in reality is not a real force. It is also known as an inertial force or a pseudo force.

Q: How does a fictitious force relate to an accelerating airplane?

A: In the case of an accelerating airplane, the airplane is in a non-inertial frame of reference because it is constantly changing its velocity. This causes fictitious forces, such as centrifugal force and Coriolis force, to appear to act on objects within the airplane.

Q: How can we mathematically describe fictitious forces?

A: Fictitious forces can be described using Newton's laws of motion, just like real forces. They can also be described using mathematical equations that take into account the acceleration and velocity of the non-inertial frame of reference.

Q: Can fictitious forces be felt by humans?

A: No, fictitious forces are not real forces and cannot be felt by humans. They are simply a result of the frame of reference and do not result in any physical effects on objects within that frame of reference.

Q: How do we account for fictitious forces in scientific calculations?

A: Fictitious forces must be taken into account when making calculations in a non-inertial frame of reference. This can be done by adding the fictitious forces to the equations of motion and treating them as if they were real forces. Failure to account for fictitious forces can lead to incorrect results.