How Does a Ladder in Equilibrium Affect the Forces on a Window and Ground?

In summary, the window cleaner used a 16 kg ladder that was 5.5 m long and placed one end on the ground 2.1 m from a wall. He climbed the ladder and was 2.9 m up when the window broke. The magnitude of the force on the window from the ladder just before it broke is 1021.29, and the magnitude and direction of the force on the ladder from the ground just before the window broke is not yet determined.
B-80
A 80 kg window cleaner uses a 16 kg ladder that is 5.5 m long. He places one end on the ground 2.1 m from a wall, rests the upper end against a cracked window, and climbs the ladder. He is 2.9 m up along the ladder when the window breaks. Neglect friction between the ladder and window and assume that the base of the ladder did not slip.

(a) Find the magnitude of the force on the window from the ladder just before the window breaks.Okay, so I know that since it is in equilibrium the sum of the torques must be 0. Therefore I can say [tex]\tau = 0[/tex] also [tex]\tau = \r F sin \theta[/tex]

so [tex]\tau = \r F sin \theta ladder + \r F sin \theta man - \r F sin \theta window = 0[/tex]

my book told me to set up the equation at the bottom of the ladder so I don't need to include the pavement, anyway when solving this, I get [tex] \tau = (1.1)(80)(9.8)sin(67.6) + (1.55)(16)(9.8)sin(67.6) - window = 0[/tex]

with that I get 1021.29 which is wrong, any ideas?

Also there is an r in all those equations, but I don't get the formatting, so I can't put it in, but I got the radius of the guy and the ladder in there. also I once solved for 2.9 as the distance he was up the ladder in the y direction, also didn't work

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the force on the ladder from the ground just before the window breaks.Dind't start this yet, as I am not done part A

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, any help is really appriciated

First, let's clarify the given information. The window cleaner has a mass of 80 kg and the ladder has a mass of 16 kg. The ladder is 5.5 m long and is placed 2.1 m from the wall. The window cleaner is 2.9 m up the ladder when the window breaks. We are neglecting friction between the ladder and the window, and assuming that the base of the ladder did not slip.

To solve part A, we need to find the force exerted on the window by the ladder just before the window breaks. Since the system is in equilibrium, the sum of the torques must be zero. We can set up the equation as follows:

\tau_{ladder} + \tau_{window} + \tau_{man} = 0

We can also use the equation \tau = \r F sin \theta to calculate the torque at each point. Since we are setting up the equation at the bottom of the ladder, we can ignore the torque from the pavement. Therefore, we have:

\tau_{ladder} = (1.1)(80)(9.8)sin(67.6) = 1021.29 Nm

\tau_{window} = -\r F_{window}sin\theta_{window} = -\r F_{window}sin(90) = 0

\tau_{man} = (1.55)(16)(9.8)sin(67.6) = 248.11 Nm

Substituting these values into our equation, we get:

1021.29 + 0 + 248.11 = 0

Therefore, the force exerted on the window by the ladder just before the window breaks is 1021.29 N.

To solve part B, we need to find the force exerted on the ladder by the ground just before the window breaks. We can use the equation \sum F_{y} = 0 to find this force. Since the system is in equilibrium, the sum of the forces in the y-direction must be zero. Therefore, we have:

F_{ladder} - F_{ground} = 0

We know that the weight of the ladder is given by W = mg, so we can substitute this in for F_{ladder}. We also know that the weight of

What is a "Ladder in Equilibrium"?

A "Ladder in Equilibrium" refers to a physical situation where a ladder is leaning against a wall and is not moving or falling. This means that all the forces acting on the ladder are balanced, resulting in a stable and stationary position.

What factors affect the equilibrium of a ladder?

The main factors that affect the equilibrium of a ladder are its weight, the weight of the objects placed on the ladder, the angle at which it is leaning against the wall, and the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground.

How do you calculate the equilibrium of a ladder?

To calculate the equilibrium of a ladder, you need to consider the forces acting on the ladder. These include the weight of the ladder, the weight of any objects on the ladder, and the normal and frictional forces between the ladder and the ground. Using Newton's laws of motion and trigonometry, you can determine if the forces are balanced and if the ladder is in equilibrium.

What happens if the ladder is not in equilibrium?

If the ladder is not in equilibrium, it will either start to move or fall. This can happen if the forces acting on the ladder are unbalanced, such as if the ladder is too heavy or if the angle at which it is leaning is too steep. In this case, the ladder will experience a net force and will accelerate in the direction of that force.

How can you ensure a ladder is in equilibrium?

To ensure a ladder is in equilibrium, you need to make sure that the forces acting on the ladder are balanced. This can be achieved by properly positioning the ladder so that it is not too heavy or too steeply angled, and by making sure there is enough friction between the ladder and the ground to prevent it from slipping. It is also important to distribute any objects placed on the ladder evenly and to avoid any sudden movements or shifts while on the ladder.