Formula for nth Derivative of f(x)= 1/(1-x)^2?

• Thread starter christen1289
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Good work!In summary, we can find the formula for the nth derivative of the equation f(x) = 1/(1-x)^2 by using the Chain Rule and simplifying to (n+1)!/(1-x)^(n+2).
christen1289

Homework Statement

Find the formula for the nth derivative of the equation f(x)= 1/(1-x)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to attempt this problem. I've tried finding derivatives in order to find a pattern but I can't seem to come up with a pattern that would help me to find a formula

Physics news on Phys.org
christen1289 said:

Homework Statement

Find the formula for the nth derivative of the equation f(x)= 1/(1-x)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to attempt this problem. I've tried finding derivatives in order to find a pattern but I can't seem to come up with a pattern that would help me to find a formula

Let's start by listing the derivatives you've found. To make this easier to deal with, you could write the function as

f(x) = (1-x)^(-2) and use the Chain Rule. What is f'(x)?

f'(x)=2(1-x)^-3

Can you write that in terms of the original f? Does that help when you apply the derivatives again?

By finding up to the fourth derivative I came up with this formula:

nth deriv of f= (n+1)(n!)(1-x)^-(n+2)

christen1289 said:
By finding up to the fourth derivative I came up with this formula:

nth deriv of f= (n+1)(n!)(1-x)^-(n+2)

Yes! (I had to revise something I was going to say: the (-1) factor from the Chain Rule keeps canceling the minus sign from the exponent-factor, so this does stay positive.)

The one further simplification you can make is that (n+1) · (n!) = (n+1)!

1. What is the nth derivative?

The nth derivative of a function is the derivative of the function taken n times. It represents the rate of change of the rate of change of the original function.

2. Why is finding the nth derivative important?

Finding the nth derivative allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of a function in greater detail. It can help us find the maximum and minimum values of a function, determine the concavity of a curve, and identify patterns in the function's behavior.

3. How do you find the nth derivative?

To find the nth derivative, you can use the power rule or the product rule, depending on the form of the original function. You can also use the quotient rule if the function involves fractions. Additionally, you can use the chain rule if the function is composed of multiple functions.

4. What is the difference between the nth derivative and the first derivative?

The nth derivative represents the rate of change of the rate of change of the original function, while the first derivative represents the rate of change of the original function. In other words, the nth derivative gives us information about the behavior of the first derivative.

5. How can you use the nth derivative to solve problems?

The nth derivative can be used to solve optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. It can also be used to find the equation of a tangent or normal line to a curve at a specific point. Additionally, it can be used to determine the concavity of a curve and find points of inflection.