Just a Hint on How to Do This Question?

• Thread starter Procrastinate
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves two small spheres with equal mass and charge, connected by a thread and separated by 80mm. Using Coulomb's Law, you can find the charge on each sphere by considering the balance of forces, including gravity, tension from the string, and electrostatic repulsion. Drawing a force diagram can help in solving the problem.
Procrastinate
Two small spheres, each of mass 5.0g, are each supported from the same point by a light insulating thread 500mm long. When they are given equal charges they repel each other so that the distance between them is 80mm. Find the charge on each.

I don't want any worked solutions or anything, so I doubt I'll need the template. However, I just want a hint as to how to go about this question? It's meant to be a problem solving question but I'm not sure what to do with the masses of the spheres.

And the only relevant equation here is Coulomb's Law so any other hints that deviate from this probably wouldn't help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Procrastinate said:
And the only relevant equation here is Coulomb's Law

Are you sure gravity isn't involved in this somehow? :wink:

You know that the distance given, 80mm, must be an equilibrium point for the system, so you basically just need to balance the forces -- the possible forces here are gravity, tension from the string, and, of course, the electrostatic repulsion - just draw a force diagram.

1. What is the purpose of "Just a Hint on How to Do This Question?"

The purpose of "Just a Hint on How to Do This Question?" is to provide guidance and assistance in solving a specific question or problem. It aims to give a small hint or tip that can help the individual understand the question better and find the solution more easily.

2. How can I use "Just a Hint on How to Do This Question?" effectively?

To use "Just a Hint on How to Do This Question?" effectively, it is important to carefully read and understand the hint provided. It is also recommended to apply the hint to the question or problem and see how it can help in finding the solution. Additionally, it can be helpful to reflect on the hint and try to understand the thought process behind it.

3. Is "Just a Hint on How to Do This Question?" applicable to all types of questions?

Yes, "Just a Hint on How to Do This Question?" can be applied to all types of questions. However, the effectiveness of the hint may vary depending on the complexity and nature of the question. Some hints may be more helpful than others, but it is always worth giving it a try.

4. Can "Just a Hint on How to Do This Question?" guarantee the correct answer?

No, "Just a Hint on How to Do This Question?" cannot guarantee the correct answer. It is simply a tool to aid in problem-solving and understanding. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to apply the hint and come up with the correct solution.

5. Can I ask for more hints if the first one does not help?

Yes, you can ask for more hints if the first one does not help. However, it is recommended to carefully consider the first hint and try to apply it before asking for another one. It is also important to give some thought and effort to solving the question on your own before seeking additional assistance.