Register to reply

Confused about relativity, please help.

by Jarfi
Tags: confused, relativity
Share this thread:
Jarfi
Mar15-12, 04:16 PM
P: 273
I have been learning about relativity, on my own, just checked how it worked, what the main idea was, I understand the concept now, but there is a thing that I can't work out.

Say you would take a space ship from earth to the nearest galaxy, in 95% lightspeed, earth sees you as travelling faster, and they see you moving slower, so you should come back, having aged lesss than them, ok at first I got that, but than they talked about how

I could also say, that they were the ones acclerating, I see earth acclerating from me, and I'm stuck in place, or me at slowing down, So i see them having a slower passage of time, than they should have aged less wen I come back.

Who the hell aged less, I don't get it!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Janus
Mar15-12, 04:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,361
Quote Quote by Jarfi View Post
I have been learning about relativity, on my own, just checked how it worked, what the main idea was, I understand the concept now, but there is a thing that I can't work out.

Say you would take a space ship from earth to the nearest galaxy, in 95% lightspeed, earth sees you as travelling faster, and they see you moving slower, so you should come back, having aged lesss than them, ok at first I got that, but than they talked about how

I could also say, that they were the ones acclerating, I see earth acclerating from me, and I'm stuck in place, or me at slowing down, So i see them having a slower passage of time, than they should have aged less wen I come back.
No, you can't say this. You have to fire your engines in order to come to a stop and then return to Earth. The Earth didn't have to do anything in order for to meet up again. In Special Relativity, you can always know who actually accelerated.
Jarfi
Mar15-12, 04:41 PM
Quote Quote by Janus View Post
No, you can't say this. You have to fire your engines in order to come to a stop and then return to Earth. The Earth didn't have to do anything in order for to meet up again. In Special Relativity, you can always know who actually accelerated.
Why did I get that in one seconde because you said it?

god damnit, I gotta go get some more sleep.

But thank god, the world is looking pretty clean now, for now.

Jarfi
Mar17-12, 11:42 AM
Confused about relativity, please help.

Quote Quote by Janus View Post
Oh but what if you meet a random space ship passing by, maybe it came from billions of light years away, will it than depend on witch one if us started accelerating? maybe i and my galaxy accelerated to him or maybe he accelerated to me,

Is the thing about reletivity, that it looks to both as if they are stationary or accelerating, but only one is right?
jtbell
Mar17-12, 11:50 AM
Mentor
P: 11,739
Oh but what if you meet a random space ship passing by, maybe it came from billions of light years away, will it than depend on witch one if us started accelerating? maybe i and my galaxy accelerated to him or maybe he accelerated to me,
If you meet only once, how do you compare how much the two of you have aged?
Jarfi
Mar17-12, 11:54 AM
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
If you meet only once, how do you compare how much the two of you have aged?
You either look at his condition in a scope, or you both return to meet.
ghwellsjr
Mar17-12, 11:55 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,736

Is the thing about reletivity, that it looks to both as if they are stationary or accelerating, but only one is right?
No, if only one is accelerating, they both can tell which one. But if they both have stopped accelerating so that there remains a speed difference between them and they wait long enough so that they can no longer see any change in the speed of the other one, then from that point on, either one can say the other one is doing all the traveling.

EDIT: It doesn't matter if they ever meet, only that they no longer see the other one as changing their velocity.

Register to reply