Question in regards to class (statistic)

In summary: However, as the classes get smaller and smaller, the approximation gets better and better.In summary, there are two methods to derive the median from a class of interval 7, and both are valid approaches. The first method uses the formula [a+b]/2 to find the median, while the second method simply looks at the numbers and determines the middle element. However, the method of estimating the median from a class may not always equal the actual median, as it assumes that the data is evenly spread throughout the class. As the class size decreases, the approximation of the median becomes more accurate.
shadowboy13
Let's suppose i have a class of interval 7, say [20, 27[

With the numbers 20 21 22 23 24 25, there are 2 ways to derive the median yes?

I may use [a+b[ /2 to get the median which in the case above will give me 23.5, or i may simply look at the numbers above and clearly see the median is 22.5.

So my question is: Are these 2 methods to derive the median valid?

I would assume so (since in terms of definition both are valid) but i want to be sure.

Thank you :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
shadowboy13 said:
Let's suppose i have a class of interval 7, say [20, 27[

With the numbers 20 21 22 23 24 25, there are 2 ways to derive the median yes?

What does [20,27[ have to do with { 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 } ?

I may use [a+b[ /2 to get the median which in the case above will give me 23.5

For an interval (with a uniform density function) the median is the midpoint of the interval, yes.

or i may simply look at the numbers above and clearly see the median is 22.5.

For finite set of discrete elements (with no weights on the elements) in sorted order, the median is the middle element. If the number of elements is even, it is usually taken as the mean of the two elements closest to the middle. For {20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25} the two elements closest to the middle are 22 and 23 and their mean is 22.5. So again, that would be a "yes".

The method of estimating the median from a class (I'm assuming you're referencing the method of estimating the median from a frequency distribution: If not I don't know what you're doing) is simply that, an estimate: the implicit assumption is that the data are spread evenly throughout the class. As your actual (small) data set shows, that isn't always the case.

In short: the result you get from using the classes in a frequency distribution should not be expected to equal the actual median.

1. What is the purpose of using statistics in a class?

Statistics is used in a class to collect, analyze, and interpret data in order to make informed decisions and conclusions. It helps to provide a better understanding of the subject matter and to make predictions based on the data.

2. How do you choose the appropriate statistical method for a class project?

The appropriate statistical method for a class project is chosen based on the type of data being collected and the research question being asked. It is important to consider the level of measurement, the distribution of the data, and the research design when selecting a statistical method.

3. Can statistics be used to manipulate data in a class project?

No, statistics should not be used to manipulate data in a class project. It is important to collect and analyze data accurately and objectively in order to draw valid conclusions. Manipulating data can lead to biased results and undermine the integrity of the project.

4. How can I apply statistics in my everyday life outside of the classroom?

Statistics can be applied in many aspects of everyday life, such as making financial decisions, understanding trends in the stock market, or analyzing data from surveys or polls. It can also be used to evaluate the effectiveness of a new product or service.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with statistics in a class?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with statistics in a class include using biased or incomplete data, misinterpreting results, and drawing conclusions that are not supported by the data. It is important to carefully plan and execute the research project and to double check all calculations and interpretations to ensure accuracy.