What Is the Correct Speed of the Moon at Perigee?

In summary, the conversation is about the correct formula for calculating the speed of the moon at perigee. The person is using a formula that does not take into account the mass of the moon, resulting in incorrect answers. After adjusting the units and considering the mass of the moon, the correct speed is estimated to be around 1000 meters per second based on the moon's orbit and period.
ryanie
Hi

Im trying to calculate the speed of the moon at perigee but i don't know where I am going wrong.

As i know the formula is v = sqrt[ GM( (2/p) - (1/a) ) ]

where
g = gravitation constant
m = mass of the earth
p = distance perigee from the earth
a = semi major axis

The values I am using are
g= 6.67384e-11
m = 5.97219e+24kg
p = 363295km
a = 384399km

the result I am getting is 75.5524m/s

Im not even sure if this is correct, could someone advice me in the correct method

*EDIT, showed the unit I am working in. Also as a side note i pulled the data of wikipedia*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your units. There is at least one error in this regard that would be more easily visible if you did.

Last edited:
What units are you using?

ryanie said:
the result I am getting is 75.5524m/s
That's not even close.

*EDIT, showed the unit I am working in. Also as a side note i pulled the data of wikipedia*
You did not show all of the units you are working in. G has units, too, and this is the source of your problem. You are using inconsistent units.

ok so

the new values I am using

G = 6.67384 × 10^-11 m3 kg-1
m = 5.97219*10^24 kg
p = 363295000 m
a = 384399000 m

im getting a result of 1075.7984 m/s

wrong? correct?

That's much closer, but it's still wrong. That result would be correct if the Moon's mass was much, much less than the mass of the Earth. It isn't. The mass of the Moon is about 0.0123 times the mass of the Earth. That's small but it is not negligible.

BTW, please stop using text speech. It's "I', not "i", "I'm", not "im".

The formula I'm using does not take into account the mass of the moon, only the mass of the earth. Am I using the wrong formula?

What is the correct formula?

is the correct answer 1076040.527 m/s ?

You have proposed three answers now, varying from 75 meters per second to over one million meters per second. A tiny bit of sanity checking would show you that at least two of those answers are unreasonable.

You know that the radius of the moon's orbit is roughly 360,000 km.
You should know that the period of the moon's orbit is roughly 28 days.

That is enough for a back-of-the-envelope estimate of 360,000,000*2*pi meters in 28*24*60*60 seconds. That's roughly 1000 meters per second.

DH has given you a big hint by saying of your second answer, the one close to 1000 meters per second: "that answer would be correct..."

1. What is the speed of the moon at perigee?

The speed of the moon at perigee varies depending on its orbital path and distance from Earth. On average, the moon travels at a speed of about 2,288 miles per hour at perigee.

2. How does the speed of the moon at perigee compare to its average speed?

The speed of the moon at perigee is faster than its average speed, which is about 2,288 miles per hour. This is due to the moon being closer to Earth at perigee, which causes it to travel faster in its orbit.

3. Does the speed of the moon at perigee affect Earth's tides?

Yes, the speed of the moon at perigee can affect Earth's tides. When the moon is closer to Earth at perigee, its gravitational pull is stronger, resulting in larger tidal ranges.

4. How often does the moon reach perigee?

The moon reaches perigee about once every 27.5 days, which is the length of its orbital period around Earth.

5. Can the speed of the moon at perigee change over time?

Yes, the speed of the moon at perigee can change over time due to various factors such as Earth's gravitational pull, the moon's own gravitational forces, and other celestial bodies in the solar system. However, these changes are relatively small and may not be noticeable to the naked eye.