Identical atoms in the Dicke model

In summary, the Tavis-Cummings and Dicke models are used to model N identical atoms interacting with a one-mode EM field. The atomic operators are defined in a basis that distinguishes between the atoms. The models also work in a spin basis, where the atoms are considered identical for certain cases. The Dicke model deals with pseudo-spins and the N/2 factor comes from re-writing the sums over N spins as collective pseudo-spins. The basis for the model would be of size N/2. In experimental realizations, the atoms are typically tuned to behave like spin 1/2 systems and interact with a high-Q cavity.
lfqm
Hey guys, I've recently read about the Tavis-Cummings and Dicke models and I got a little bit confused about them. They are suppoused to model N identical atoms interacting with a one-mode EM field, however the atomic operators are defined in the basis (for the case of two atoms):

[tex]\left\{{|e_{1},e_{2}>, |e_{1},g_{2}>, |g_{1},e_{2}>, |g_{1},g_{2}>}\right\}[/tex]

which obviously makes a distinction between the atoms.
Then it gets even more confusing, as they start working in a spin basis [tex]\left\{{|j,m>}\right\}[/tex] which makes the atoms identical for the case j=N/2... I don't even undestand why they fix j=N/2

Concretely, my question is: What is the basis of the hilbert space the Dicke hamiltonian is acting on (the atomic part)?

The [tex]2^N[/tex] elements basis (distinguishable atoms), the [tex]\displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^{N/2}(2j+1)[/tex] elements basis (considering all spin values) or the [tex]N+1[/tex] elements basis (fixing j=N/2).

And what is the form of the atomic operators in this basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I can answer your question (I am not even sure I understand it).

However, the Dicke model deals with pseudo-spins, i.e. collective excitation of an ensemble of spin 1/2 systems. The N/2 factor comes from re-writing the sums over N spins as collective pseudo-spins (the collective angular momentum). You basically re-write it so that you end up with a Hamiltonian with no sums in it, even though you are dealing with an ensemble; i.e. the basis would certainly be of the size N/2 since that is the size of representations of the pseuo-spin operators.

Note that for all systems I can think of the atoms are identical from an "EM" point of view in that they have the same energy splitting and (ideally) the same coupling to the field mode of interest; But this does not imply that they are indistinguishable, they would certainly be separated spatially. There has also been quite a bit work done looking at generalized models, i.e. what happens if the coupling is non-uniform etc. which means you can waves and so on.

A typical experimental realization of the Dicke model would be an ensemble of e.g. ions in a high-Q cavity. The ions are tuned (using for example a Zeeman shift) so that they behave like spin 1/2 systems (i.e. simple two-level systems) and have energies resonant with the cavity frequency.

1. What is the Dicke model?

The Dicke model is a theoretical model used to study the behavior of a system of identical atoms interacting with a single mode of electromagnetic radiation. It was first proposed by Robert Dicke in 1954.

2. What are identical atoms in the Dicke model?

In the Dicke model, identical atoms refer to a group of atoms that have the same energy levels and transition frequencies. This allows for simplified calculations and analysis of the system.

3. How do identical atoms behave in the Dicke model?

In the Dicke model, the identical atoms interact with a single mode of radiation, leading to a phenomenon known as superradiance. This results in the atoms emitting radiation cooperatively, rather than independently, leading to enhanced emission rates and other interesting effects.

4. What are some applications of the Dicke model?

The Dicke model has been used to study and understand various phenomena in quantum optics, such as superradiance, cooperative effects, and quantum phase transitions. It has also been applied in fields such as quantum information processing and quantum computing.

5. Are there any limitations to the Dicke model?

Like any theoretical model, the Dicke model has its limitations. It assumes that all atoms in the system are identical and interact with the same mode of radiation, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it does not take into account factors such as external noise and decoherence, which can affect the behavior of the system.