What is the electric field around a conducting sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the basics of electric fields and the use of Gauss's law to find the correct answer. It also delves into the concept of electric potential and clarifies that it is a scalar quantity. The conversation ends with an important reminder to pay attention to the direction of voltage.
square_imp
Hi all,
I am having some troubles with some Electromagnetism questions. First of all can someone please explain the basics behind Electric fields. The question asks "What is the electric field around a conducting sphere of radius R carrying a charge Q". Does this imply that because the sphere is conducting that the charge is spread evenly and therefore can be considered as a point charge at the centre of the sphere? Does the use of Gauss's law help to get the correct answer, i.e

E= q/(4 x pi x permittivity of free space x r^2)x the unit vector in the field direction

I am slightly confused about this one.

The next part of the question asks " What is the electric potential at the surface of the sphere if the potential infinately far away is zero". As far as I know the potential is essentially a 'band' where the electric field is constant, so therefore is the electris field at the distance of the sphere, and because infinately far away = zero then at the surface is simply minus the field strength?

Please any explanation would be great. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First part sounds good:

Potential from a point away from infinity is simply:
[tex]V=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex],

this is indirectly from coulombs law:

[tex]E=\frac{kq}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]V=E\cdot r=\frac{kq}{r}[/tex]

where [tex]k=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Does this help you?

Regards,
Sam

(Sorry about the mistake if anyone read it quick enough)!

Last edited:
An important point with this, is to notice that V = E.r (scalar product), is a scalar quantity. I have made many mistakes in the past on this topic thinking that Voltage had a direction (whoops)! :smile:

Note: I've left out the [tex]\cos\theta[/tex], oweing to the fact that the Electric field about a point charge (which this example can be considered), is radial.

Regards,
Sam

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by an electric charge at a given point in space. It is created by other electric charges and can be either attractive or repulsive.

2. How is the electric field around a conducting sphere calculated?

The electric field around a conducting sphere is calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere. This equation assumes that the conducting sphere is uniformly charged and the charge is concentrated at the center.

3. Is the electric field inside a conducting sphere zero?

Yes, the electric field inside a conducting sphere is zero. This is because the charges on the surface of the sphere redistribute themselves in such a way that the net electric field inside the sphere is cancelled out.

4. How does the electric field change as the distance from the conducting sphere increases?

The electric field strength decreases as the distance from the conducting sphere increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, according to the equation E = kQ/r^2.

5. Can the electric field around a conducting sphere be affected by external electric fields?

Yes, external electric fields can affect the electric field around a conducting sphere. This is because the charges on the surface of the sphere will redistribute themselves in response to the external field, resulting in a change in the electric field strength at different points around the sphere.