How to Find the Value of Sin BCA and Solve Logarithms - Help Needed!

• Thread starter QueenFisher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, in the given quadrilateral ABCD where AD is parallel to BC and AB=9, BC=6, CA=5, and CD=15, it can be shown that cos BCA=-1/3. To find the value of sin BCA, one can use the fact that sin2x+cos2x=1 and the cosine rule to evaluate the projection of the sides onto each other. Additionally, for the problem involving logarithms, the order of operations does not matter due to the commutative property of multiplication and division.
QueenFisher
in the diagram (attached), ABCD is a quadrilateral where AD parallel to BC. it is given that AB=9, BC=6, CA=5 and CD=15.
show that cos BCA=-1/3 and hence find the value of sin BCA

i can do the 'show that' bit but i don't know how to find sinBCA. any help??

also when evaluating log15 + log20 - log12 (all to the base 5) do you do the addition to multiplication conversion first or the subtraction to division first?

Attachments

• triangle.bmp
    44.9 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
i can't see the triangle yet... beu about the logs... what does it matter what order you do it?

re: logs

HINT 1: Multiplication is commutative

HINT 2: Division is the mulitiplicative inverse.

For the first part.

You know that [tex]\theta =\cos^{-1}(-1/3)[/tex] where [tex]\theta = B\hat CA[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{Let } \phi = \pi /2 - \theta[/tex]
then,
[tex]\cos\phi = -\cos\theta = -(-1/3) = 1/3[/tex]
[tex]\sin\phi = \sin\theta[/tex]

Draw a small right-angled triangle, with one of the angles as [tex]\phi[/tex].
Mark the adjacent side as 1, and mark the hypotenuse as [tex]3[/tex].
So, what is the length of the opposite side?
What is the value of [tex]\sin\phi[/tex] ?
What is the value of [tex]\sin\theta[/tex] ?

Fermat said:
For the first part.
You know that [tex]\theta =\cos^{-1}(-1/3)[/tex] where [tex]\theta = B\hat CA[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{Let } \phi = \pi /2 - \theta[/tex]
then,
[tex]\cos\phi = -\cos\theta = -(-1/3) = 1/3[/tex]
[tex]\sin\phi = \sin\theta[/tex]
Draw a small right-angled triangle, with one of the angles as [tex]\phi[/tex].
Mark the adjacent side as 1, and mark the hypotenuse as [tex]3[/tex].
So, what is the length of the opposite side?
What is the value of [tex]\sin\phi[/tex] ?
What is the value of [tex]\sin\theta[/tex] ?

i didn't really follow that.
i don't get this bit: [tex]\cos\phi = -\cos\theta = -(-1/3) = 1/3[/tex]
cos i don't think we've done stuff like that, at least we haven't been taught it, i can't find it on the syllabus and the exam is in 1 week. is there another way??

also, that post about the logs with all the long words in it, i didn't understand that either. I'm only 17. in english, possibly??

hehe, comutative means you can rearange the operators in what order youd like and youd get the same answer...

so if multiplication is comutative a*b*c=c*a*b and if division by b is just multiplication by 1/b then division is also comutative... so there's no point in asking what to do first: add the logs or substruct them...

QueenFisher said:
show that cos BCA=-1/3 and hence find the value of sin BCA

i can do the 'show that' bit but i don't know how to find sinBCA. any help??

You do know that sin2x+ cos2x= 1 don't you?

hmmm... i wonder where i went wrong here:
I. [tex]|CB|*|BA|cos(CBA)+|BA|*|AC|cos(BAC)=9=45cos(CBA)+54cos(BAC)[/tex]
II. [tex]|BC|*|CA|cos(BCA)+|BA|*|AC|cos(BAC)=6=30cos(BCA)+54cos(BAC)[/tex]
III. [tex]|BC|*|CA|cos(BCA)+|CB|*|BA|cos(CBA)=5=30cos(BCA)+45cos(CBA)[/tex]
from I-II-III i get [tex]9-6-5=-60cos(BCA)[/tex]... which means [tex]cos(BCA)=\frac{1}{30}[/tex]...
hmm... you said you proved its [tex]\frac{-1}{3}[/tex]?

HallsofIvy said:
You do know that sin2x+ cos2x= 1 don't you?
Oh, my gawd! :cry:

fargoth said:
hmmm... i wonder where i went wrong here:
I. [tex]|CB|*|BA|cos(CBA)+|BA|*|AC|cos(BAC)=9=45cos(CBA)+54cos(BAC)[/tex]
II. [tex]|BC|*|CA|cos(BCA)+|BA|*|AC|cos(BAC)=6=30cos(BCA)+54cos(BAC)[/tex]
III. [tex]|BC|*|CA|cos(BCA)+|CB|*|BA|cos(CBA)=5=30cos(BCA)+45cos(CBA)[/tex]
from I-II-III i get [tex]9-6-5=-60cos(BCA)[/tex]... which means [tex]cos(BCA)=\frac{1}{30}[/tex]...
hmm... you said you proved its [tex]\frac{-1}{3}[/tex]?
You use the cosine rule on the triangle ABC.

Fermat said:
You use the cosine rule on the triangle ABC.

heh, i call it adding the two prejections of the other sides on one of the sides and saying it equals the whole side, but you can call it the "cosine rule"
anyway, it should give the right result... but i got [tex]cos(BCA)=\frac{1}{30}[/tex] while in the question they mentioned [tex]cos(BCA)=\frac{-1}{3}[/tex]

heh, oops :blushing:
to find the projectio of |BC| for example on |CA| you only need |BC|cos(BCA)... that's what I've done wrong, i multiplied the two vectors instead of just projecting them... what a silly mistake, guess that's because it was really late at night when i did it... and the floor was in a slope too :biggrin:

all that stuff with the lines in it looks really confusing...i just used the cosine rule...

anyway thanks for all the help i got it in the end

1. How do I find the value of sin BCA?

To find the value of sin BCA, you can use a scientific calculator or a trigonometric table. Simply plug in the angle BCA in degrees or radians and press the sin button to get the value. If you need to find the value by hand, you can use the sine function formula sin(x) = opposite/hypotenuse where x is the angle BCA.

2. What is the difference between finding the value of sin BCA and solving logarithms?

Finding the value of sin BCA involves using trigonometric functions to determine the ratio between the opposite side and hypotenuse of a triangle. Solving logarithms, on the other hand, involves finding the unknown variable in an equation that contains logarithmic functions. These two concepts are different and require different methods to solve them.

3. How can I use logarithms to solve exponential equations?

To solve an exponential equation using logarithms, first take the logarithm of both sides using the same base. This will bring down the exponent as a coefficient, allowing you to solve for the unknown variable. Once you have the value of the variable, you can plug it back into the original equation to check your answer.

4. Are there any special rules for solving logarithms?

Yes, there are several rules for solving logarithms, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. These rules allow you to simplify complex logarithmic expressions and solve them more easily. It is important to familiarize yourself with these rules before attempting to solve logarithmic equations.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve logarithms?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a button for logarithmic functions, making it easier to solve logarithmic equations. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind logarithms and how to solve them by hand before relying on a calculator. This will help you better understand the solution and check for any errors in your calculations.