How many M type stars equal the luminosity of one O type star?

• Thread starter blumfeld0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Luminosity
In summary, the equation to use in order to figure out how many .75*Msolar main sequence stars would it take to equal the luminosity of one 3*Msolar O tpe star is the mass-luminosity relation, which states that the luminosity of a star is directly proportional to its mass raised to the power of 3.5. However, this assumes that the composition of both stars is the same. Higher helium or lower metal content can affect the luminosity.
blumfeld0
Hello. what equation do i use to figure out how many .75*Msolar main sequence stars would it take to equal the luminosity of one 3*Msolar O tpe star?
I know O type are much brighter but how many times brighter?

thank you

Astronomy news on Phys.org
blumfeld0 said:
Hello. what equation do i use to figure out how many .75*Msolar main sequence stars would it take to equal the luminosity of one 3*Msolar O tpe star?

thank you
You ought to be able to get most of this info from links starting on http://www.astronomynotes.com/starprop/chindex.htm" .

or http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~kbundy/ay1page/lectures/class7.pdf".

Last edited by a moderator:
blumfeld0 said:

I would use a table, but if you can't find one, the mass-luminosity relation should be fine:

[tex]\frac{L}{L_{sun}} \propto (\frac{M}{M_{sun}})^{3.5}[/tex]

SpaceTiger said:
I would use a table, but if you can't find one, the mass-luminosity relation should be fine:

[tex]\frac{L}{L_{sun}} \propto (\frac{M}{M_{sun}})^{3.5}[/tex]

As a side note this requires that composition (hydrogen, helium, metal mass fractions) be the same. Higher helium content will mean higher luminosity as will lower metal content.

1. What is the definition of luminosity?

Luminosity refers to the total amount of energy radiated by a star or other astronomical object per unit time.

2. How is luminosity measured for M type stars?

Luminosity for M type stars is measured using the bolometric luminosity, which takes into account the emission of all wavelengths of light.

3. What factors affect the luminosity of M type stars?

The luminosity of M type stars is affected by their size, temperature, and composition. Larger and hotter stars tend to have higher luminosity, while those with a higher metallicity (amount of elements other than hydrogen and helium) may have lower luminosity.

4. How does the luminosity of M type stars compare to other types of stars?

M type stars, also known as red dwarfs, are the smallest and coolest type of main sequence stars. They have relatively low luminosity compared to other types of stars, such as O type stars which are the largest and hottest.

5. Why is the luminosity of M type stars important to study?

The luminosity of M type stars provides valuable information about their physical properties and evolutionary stage. It can also help us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as M type stars are the most common type of star in the universe.