What could be causing my cloud chamber experiment to fail?

In summary, the author is conducting a cloud chamber experiment using black jar, black felt, methylated spirits (96% ethanol), water, and cobalt 60. Concentration about 50-50 with the spirits and water, then soaked the felt. He's going to try it again tomorrow with Americium as it's a alpha emitter, in the hope of success.
whitay
I'm conducting a cloud chamber experiment using:
Jar (black lid)
Felt(black)
Methylated Spirits (96% ethanol)
Water
Cobalt 60
Dry Ice

Concentration about 50-50 with the spirits and water then soaked the felt. Using a projector which produces heat to main a temperature gradient. So far in the 2 runs I've done it has been unsuccessful in producing a cloud, however it is visible that there is rain and the diluted alcohol is being evapourated. One run was straight spirits solution and one was diluted. When I took the lid off the jar after, which was immediately after ceasing the experiment, mist bellowed out and the jar lid had like a liquidy/water feel it to.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow in the hope of success and with Americium as it's a alpha emitter so ionisation should be far more effective.

If, from my brief description of how I'm conducting this experiment, you find something errornous tell me. However my question is I'm curious as to the reactions that would be occurring with the free electron(s) floating around? With the naturally occurring equilibrium of H20 -> H+ + OH-, would the electron be attracted to the H+ ions causing H++? Also what would the ionisation be doing to the alcohol?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does our recipe actually calls for water?

Usually, when you are using dry ice to cool it into a saturated condition, you don't want any kind of moisture. That's why it is always recommended that you use denatured ethenol - it has less water. If you do have too much water, it will freeze instead.

Zz.

Dry ice is approximately -78.5 degrees C, Langsdorf experiment says the experiment should be conduct with cooling to -40 degrees C. Does this -38.5 degree difference have great effect?

What on Earth level are you doing this at? The last time that I paid attention, Cobalt 60 was about $10,000 per ounce. I can't help with your question, but that ingredient really caught my attention.

Danger said:
The last time that I paid attention, Cobalt 60 was about $10,000 per ounce.

He's probably using small encapsulated sources at the microcurie level, such as these:

http://www.canberra.com/products/822.asp

Sources such as these are commonly used in undergraduate laboratories. They're not very expensive, and they don't require elaborate safety precautions.

An ounce of cobalt-60 would definltely require elaborate safety precautions!

Well then, I think that I feel a new hobby coming on... :biggrin:

Nice link, JT. I don't have time to check it out completely, but I added it to my 'favourites' list.

Yeah my teacher said it was cobalt but it wasnt, turned out ot be strontium. I've ripped apart a smoke alarm and using the americium now. However no success.

1. What is a Cloud Chamber Experiment?

A cloud chamber experiment is a scientific demonstration used to visualize the paths of charged particles, such as alpha and beta particles, as they pass through a supersaturated vapor. This allows for the observation of otherwise invisible particles and their interactions with matter.

2. How does a Cloud Chamber Experiment work?

A cloud chamber experiment works by creating a supersaturated vapor using a mixture of alcohol and water, or dry ice and alcohol, in a sealed container. When a charged particle passes through the vapor, it ionizes the molecules, creating a visible trail of condensation.

3. What kinds of particles can be observed in a Cloud Chamber Experiment?

Various types of charged particles can be observed in a cloud chamber experiment, including alpha and beta particles, protons, electrons, and even cosmic rays. The type of particle observed depends on the source of radiation used.

4. What is the purpose of conducting a Cloud Chamber Experiment?

A cloud chamber experiment is primarily used to study the properties and behaviors of charged particles. It can also be used to detect and identify different types of particles, as well as to investigate the effects of magnetic fields on particle trajectories.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting a Cloud Chamber Experiment?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when conducting a cloud chamber experiment. The alcohol vapors used can be flammable, so it is important to conduct the experiment in a well-ventilated area. Additionally, care should be taken when handling dry ice, as it can cause skin irritation and should not be handled with bare hands.