Find the Impulse and Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the impulse on a 25-kg object before and after a collision, with initial velocity of +12m/s. Using the F=ma equation and the impulse-momentum theorem, the impulse is calculated to be -100 N*s when the object's velocity changes to 8m/s and -500 N*s when the velocity changes to -8m/s. However, a correction is made to the second calculation, resulting in an impulse of 400 N*s. The conversation also acknowledges that the initial and final velocities are important in determining the impulse, and that the answer was ultimately correct.
matadorqk

Homework Statement

Before a collision, a 25-kg object is moving at +12m/s. Find the impulse that acted on teh object if, after the collision, it moves at:
a. 8.0m/s
b.-8.0m/s

Homework Equations

(c)=changes in:
To find impulse, we would use the F=ma, so F=m*(c)v/(c)t
So, F(c)t = m(c)v
Therefore, F(c)t=p2-p1 (impulse-momentum theorem).

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so here's what I did. Let's solve A first.
GIVEN:
m=25kg
v1=12m/s
v2=8m/s
F=25*(8.0-12)/(c)t
F= -100/(c)t
So, we take the difference in time to the other side.
F(c)t=-100
Therefore, its impulse is -100. At first I got confused because I had left two variables, but I think that's the impulse because F(c)t=p2-p1, so:
p2-p1=-100
25(8)-(25)(12)=-100
-100=-100
Im assuming that's the impulse, so its -100 N*s.

So, let's do this for B, which is -8.
GIVEN:
m=25kg
v1=12m/s
v2=-8.0m/s
F=?
F(c)t=m(v2-v1)
Impulse=25(-8-12)
Impulse=25(-20)
Impulse=-500
Seems to make sense, because to make the object that's moving go on its opposite direction it must be really strong. And also, both answers are negative as it moves in the opposite direction.

I would appreciate if you could check over my work to see if it is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is 400 Ns.

While you are correct, initially, in looking at the problem, the impulse you can see by looking at the initial and final velocities, that the (c)v [to use your symbols] is -16 m/s.

Impluse IS F(c)t, so the answer is 25 kg * (-16m/s)

m

Chi Meson said:
The answer is 400 Ns.

While you are correct, initially, in looking at the problem, the impulse you can see by looking at the initial and final velocities, that the (c)v [to use your symbols] is -16 m/s.

Impluse IS F(c)t, so the answer is 25 kg * (-16m/s)

m

For Problem A, the c(v) is V2-V1, so 8-12 would equal -4.
For Problem B, the c(v) is V2-V1, so -8-12 would equal -20. Where did you get -16? Did you use -20-(-4)? Wouldn't that be the change of the change in velocity?

matadorqk said:
For Problem A, the c(v) is V2-V1, so 8-12 would equal -4.
For Problem B, the c(v) is V2-V1, so -8-12 would equal -20. Where did you get -16? Did you use -20-(-4)? Wouldn't that be the change of the change in velocity?

Sorry, I misread the question. I had thought it was "8m/s to -8m/s." Your answers are correct, but still you did far more work than necessary.

Hehe

Im in my first year of physics so I am really careful step by step, hehe! I handed in the homework today so thank god the answer was right hehehe! thanks soo much for your help! :)

'better safe than sorry'

1. What is impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are two concepts in physics that describe the motion of an object. Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over time, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How do you calculate impulse and momentum?

To calculate impulse, you can use the equation: Impulse = Force x Time. Momentum is calculated using the equation: Momentum = Mass x Velocity.

3. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are related concepts but have different meanings. Impulse is the change in momentum over time, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. Impulse is a vector quantity, while momentum is a scalar quantity.

4. How is impulse and momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

Impulse and momentum are closely related to Newton's laws of motion. Newton's second law states that the change in an object's momentum is equal to the net force acting on the object. This means that impulse, which is the change in momentum, is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time it is applied for.

5. What are some real-life examples of impulse and momentum?

Some real-life examples of impulse and momentum include car accidents, where the force of impact causes a change in momentum, and sports like baseball, where the player's bat exerts a force on the ball to change its momentum and send it flying.